Added Users, now want to notify them that they can access JIRA

Jill Pate May 21, 2012

When I first created the Users, I could check a box to send e-mail notification, but I didn't want to do it until I had all the users and more of JIRA set up.

How do I send them the notification now?

Thank you

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 22, 2012
Hi,

if all your users are new users, you could send a mail to the group "Jira-Users".

Best regards

Thomas

Ramiro Pointis
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 22, 2012

Just to extend, you have to go to the administration section, in the system tab, email item. Then you can go to the Send Mail Option and notify all the users.

Jill Pate May 22, 2012

Thomas,

Would this send the same e-mail as if I had checked the box (Send and e-mail to the user you have just created, which will allow them to setup their password)?

All the users are not new.

Ramiro Pointis
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 22, 2012

Sadly yes... If there aren't too much users you could create them again. Easy too say, not so easy to do...

Ramiro Pointis
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 22, 2012

This won't be that kind of mail. With this you have to write what you are going to send.

Jill Pate May 22, 2012

So, it appears that you can only send this e-mail when you add a person.

This is so unfortunately.

0 votes
Dieter
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 22, 2012
One idea would be to create an Introduction issue in a sandbox project and configure the notification scheme to notify group jira-users (or whereever your new users belong to) on the Issue Create Event. This might also raise curiosity at the users to click on the link and give Jira a first try.

of course you should change this notification scheme after hou have created the email else your users might try to do the same ... ;)

Jill Pate May 22, 2012

???????????

Dieter
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 22, 2012
Ok, i need to explain that better.

I suggested to use the Jira notification mechanism to inform the users by sending them notification emails. On each event Jira can send notification emails to a configurable set of users. I suggested to configure the notification scheme of a test project to send a notification to your new users when the Welcome issue is created by you. Of course you must group your new users into a group to make that work.

Of course you should first know how to configure notification schemes, the other approach is much more straight forward.

Aftervusers have got the notification email they can click on the link to the Welcome issue and start playing around with it, e.g. Commenting on it.

Dieter
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 22, 2012
Of course this approach also won't send the same email as when you create a user ... Just wanted to be somehow more creative in how to make users familiar with Jira
Ramiro Pointis
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 22, 2012

As weird as I think sounds, in fact it may work ;)

Karie Kelly
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 22, 2012

It would be helpful to be able to send an email after the setup since the current process only allows you to send on the initial page -- not after groups and roles are created; or if you had to add them to notification schemes.

It would be helpful to have when resetting someone's password as well as I've had issues with a user getting caught in the captcha or never able to get their password to change successfully and a manual reset was necessary.

Suggest an answer