Added New Workflow ; Cannot Change Existing Tickets to the Issue Types In New Workflow

I am sure this is a repeat. New to the boards and spent some time looking for an answer but I may not know the lingo.  Apologies.

1) I created a new issue type

2) I created a new workflow for the new issue type

3) I associated the new workflow with my project and assigned the new issue type to that workflow.

If I create new tickets manually I can assign them to the new issue type and new workflow, but tickets created through the API/Integration with our non-dev ticket system do not allow me to change the issue type to my new one once they are created.

What am I missing here?

Thank you in advance.

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote

You can only "edit" the issue type if the configuration of the source issue type is the same as the target issue type.  The configuration means essentially "fields and workflows".

I think that explains your case - you can create issues fine, with the new type, but you can't just flip the issue type because the one you're trying to change to has a different workflow.

To convert issues between types with mismatched configurations after creation, you have to use the "move" functions.

That did the trick! Thank you very much.

0 vote
Gaston Valente Community Champion Aug 02, 2017

Shaun,

A question, the new issue type is associated with the issue type scheme of the project where you're trying to create the ticket?

Thank you for your question.  I did have them associated, but didnt know I needed to use the 'Move' feature instead of the dropdown.  Much appreciated for your time.

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published yesterday in Jira

5 ways you can make the most of Jira Software and Bitbucket Cloud

As part of the Bitbucket product team I'm always interested in better understanding what kind of impact the use of our tools have on the way you work. In a recent study we conducted of software devel...

49 views 0 4
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you