Add tabs in field description

Celik Vedat November 13, 2017

Hi Community,

is it possible to add multiple tabs to an description field in JIRA?

Excuse me if this question has been asked, but based on my JIRA exp I didnt know how to ask this question otherwise.

Again: In our Projects we have an field "Description" and i what i want to do, is to add tabs to this field

Appreciate your answers!

Vedat

2 answers

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 13, 2017

No, the description is a single field containing text with some simple formatting options.  Tabs are definitely not simple formatting.

If you used several fields, you could create tabs and scatter the fields through them.

Celik Vedat November 14, 2017

Thank you for the advice. :)

1 vote
Nick November 13, 2017

If it is a question of the standard field description - you can do it with crutches: for example, embedding Javascript.

I would recommend that you use the standard tabs of screens and different text fields

Celik Vedat November 13, 2017

yes, my question is based on the std. field "description". what do you mean with "crutches"? and isnt there any possibility to do this without javascript?

thanks to your recommendation, but i want to find a solution to have taps in the field :/

i think a textfield istn that usefull for long text passages ?

greetings

Nick November 13, 2017

In Russian, this is a suboptimal and dangerous solution. (Judging by Google, in English: "duct tape")

14309936496277.jpg

ps. Nic(@Nic Brough), the guy from below in the thread, swears when I publish dangerous decisions :)

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 13, 2017

:-)

Yes, injecting javascript to Jira is painful.  It's unsupportable, often flaky and breaks on upgrades, or even addition or removal of add-ons.  I'd not say "dangerous" really, as it's hard to damage your data (but easy to make a mess of it or break the way the screens handle), but you will find good Jira admins removing js hacks where-ever they're found.

If you do go this way, you're going to need to think about how you're going to represent it.  You'd need to wedge something into the field data to separate the text into tabs, and your js would have to find it, interpret it, and then know how to amend the field to paste it back in when saving.

It would be safer to do this with a field add-on, one that can implement the formatting safely inside itself (and you can let the java handle the data storage)

Suggest an answer