Add static text to a JIRA screen

Lee Correll
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 28, 2013

I'm trying to add some static text either next to or below a field on a number of screens - especially my default view screen - but since the screens are created by adding/deleting fields, I figured I needed to add a read-only field. However, the fields that display won't include my read-only field because JIRA says:

"Note: when the screen is shown to the user only non-hidden fields that the user has permissions to edit will be actually displayed."

How do I do this? I have a custom field description, but it doesn't show up on the default issue view screen (https://mycompany.jira.com/browse/Issue-number), it only shows up when I edit the issue on the edit pop-up (screen.)

Note: I'm OnDemand, so I can't add plugins and whatnot.

6 answers

5 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 16, 2013

The read-only field needs data behind it, and this is not what it's for

What you need is a different type of field - one that displays a message, not data. This can be done with the "message" fields from the Jira Toolkit, which I seem to remember is included in OnDemand, although you may need to enable it.

Ethan Foulkes
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 1, 2015

Hi Nic, I'm using server version and the message fields from Jira Toolkit aren't displaying. Do you know if this should work for server version or are they only for OnDemand? I'm surprised at how difficult it is to add this functionality...

Like Dave Liao likes this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 1, 2015

It works fine on both for me.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 1, 2015

Sorry, that was a bit short. I think the question becomes "what are you doing" so we can try to work out what is failing for you. The obvious one to check is if you're using the right field type on the screens.

Ethan Foulkes
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 1, 2015

=) It was implied... I've created 2 custom fields one Message Custom Field (for view) and one Message Custom Field (for edit) and assigned them both to a transition screen. There's not much to configure for the field though that I can see, just Field Name and Description. Is there somewhere else I go to add text? All I see on the transition screen is the comments section...

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 1, 2015

Ok cool, a transition screen is an "edit" type screen, so only the "for edit" one will work there. The text you want on screen needs to go in the "default" value for the field - check the context for the field

Ethan Foulkes
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 1, 2015

I was so close... Default value field a little confusing to find but I've got it now. Nic, thank you for all your contributions to the community!

Like Dave Liao likes this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 1, 2015

I think *every* single time I've configured one of these fields, I've put my text in the description, not found it, then gone "oh, yes, I need to put it in the default. I'm sure I'll remember it next time" (of course, I don't)

Like WendyA likes this
Ethan Foulkes
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 1, 2015

I'll let you know next time I configure one...forget...and come back here to find the answer =)

Like WendyA likes this
Derek Broughton May 23, 2016

@Nic Brough [Adaptavist]  'The text you want on screen needs to go in the "default" value for the field'. Do you mean that, even though a post function happily assigns a value to that field, only the "default" value is ever going to be displayed?  Because that's what I'm seeing ... sad

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 23, 2016

Correct - the message fields are for displaying a fixed message, rather than the content of the field - that's just ignored.

If you want different text on screen, put your data in a "read only text" field.  But remember as it's read-only, it will only appear on issue view.

Derek Broughton May 23, 2016

@Nic Brough [Adaptavist] Thanks for that rapid response to my reopening an old question!  I'd already found your other answer with the  "read only text" field, and have just had it do what I want, but it's good to confirm that the message field doesn't do what I thought it does!

0 votes
MattS
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 21, 2013

You'd have to create your own custom field type extending the system one and change its "view" Velocity template to add the tooltip attribute to the HTML. In 5.2 there is a tooltip but it doesn't seem to be the custom field's description or field configuration description either

0 votes
Michal Husar
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 22, 2013

Hi Lee,

I don't think that this thread is only about plugin, for example: "The built-in read-only text field is what you need then - it cannot be edited on-screen. You have to set it with post-functions or listeners (or import from CSV)". This can be done without plugin in OnDenamd as well. I tested it right now and it works for me.. I add my test readonly field on my View Issue screen only and then create Post Function in Workflow transition to Update custom field value.. Michal

0 votes
Lee Correll
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 22, 2013

Hi, Michal - that thread talks about adding a plugin, which can't be done on OnDemand.

Hi, Nic - the JIRA toolkit is installed, and enabled - I'll take a further look.

0 votes
Michal Husar
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 17, 2013

Hi Lee,

maybe this topic can help you with read-only field: https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/124856/read-only-text-field-type-of-custom-field .

0 votes
Lee Correll
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 16, 2013

Doesn't look like this can be done. :(

Suggest an answer