Add request participants ON CREATE

Chris Purser June 14, 2016

This question is in reference to Atlassian Documentation: Adding request participants

It seems no matter how certain I am that everything is set up properly I cannot see the Request Participants field in any Create screen.  The field finder tells me I SHOULD see it, but it's not there.  The screen and screen scheme says it's there, but it's not.  It shows up AFTER the issue is created but not ON CREATE.

Can someone help with this, because I'm unable to imagine what I'm missing?  Is there some restriction that would prevent an administrator from creating a support issue for someone manually that DOES NOT require creating THEN adding the participant after creation?  Because that is a bunch of extra steps that should be avoided.

Thanks.  I'm kinda lost.

9 answers

1 accepted

10 votes
Answer accepted
Meck
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 15, 2016

Hi Chris Purser,

I'm back. ^^ Steven Behnke is right. This is currently not possible. The functionality of adding a participant is only available after an issue's creation. However, there is a feature request on that, as you can see HERE

Regards,

Lameck.

2 votes
Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 14, 2016

You're trying to add this to the Customer Portal or the JIRA Form?

This is an open feature request – https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSD-1511

0 votes
Omar Hutchens April 6, 2020

So what I created was a new custom field for multiple user for the customer portal. Created an automation within the project for when an issue is created to update a field and copy over the information from my custom field to participants. voila!  

You can also set an automation when the field is edited it can update the participants too that way if new people are added after creation and send emails to them. 

:-)

Sistemas e Innovación Digital December 23, 2020

Hello Omar. 

¿Can I ask how did you created an automation within the project for when an issue is created to update a field and copy over?

DId you need an addon like the other users?

Omar Hutchens December 28, 2020

No add-on. It's part of the automation tab in the project. We are on jira cloud. 

0 votes
Ege Su Inan November 29, 2018

What I did is that I added "Watcher Field" in portal, then i use a post function in "Create" from Jira Misc Workflow called " Update parameters of the Copy value from field to field "

I will also suggest that create another transition for example from  "Open to Open". Name it like "Set Values" use Script Runner to do a fast tract transition after create.

Sometimes create post functions also fails so i would recommend to to in this way.

Cheers,

Ege Su

0 votes
Kevin Ultsh July 27, 2018

All, You can just add this as a post function on the create stage. Use the "Update Custom Field" post function, make sure it's after the indexing function, and use their usernames in the field. If it is more than 2, separate them with a comma. Just got this working.

0 votes
Karanpreet Kaur October 25, 2017

The request participants field cannot be added to the portal. There is a suggestion for adding Request Participants field to the Create screen or Request types in portal : JSDSERVER-1511.

As alternative to this, there is a workaround to achieve this, as follows:

• Add Watchers field to Create screen and Request Type form.
    • Or you can add a multi user picker field.
  • Add a post function to Create workflow transition to copy the values of Watchers field to Request Participants field.
    • You can get this additional post function using add-ons like JMWE (Jira Misc Workflow Extensions), Jira Suite Utilities, etc.
    • We are using 'JMWE: Copy value from field to field' post function.
    • Move this post function to the bottom of the default/inbuilt post functions. [which are shipped when you create a transition]
    • Save the workflow.
  • You can test this by creating a jira issue from service desk portal and looping in some users in Watchers field. Once jira issue is created, check the request participants field to verify if watchers got added as participants to the request.

Thanks,
Karan

0 votes
Sascha Krieg July 26, 2016

Hi @Chris Purser,

you could use the Collective Issue View for Service Desk Plugin. I you have not already, create a JIRA group for the members of your Sales Team. Add a group custom Field and name it "participant group". 
Now if you generate an Issue and set one of the Sales Team member as reporter the field participants will be filled with all the members of the Sales Team group.    

0 votes
Chris Purser June 15, 2016

Hi @Steve Behnke [DiscoverEquip.com] and @Lameck Oliveira [Diferencial TI] and thanks for the help.

I was trying to do it one of several ways during my investigation.  We have Sales using Zoho CRM.  In the past, for customer "builds" if you will, we generated service tickets the Sales team could be attached to.  Using a JIRA Issue is WAY too technical for this sales team.  So with Service Desk and having them use the portal like a customer, it's a great way for them to keep track of their 'builds.' While, in the meantime, the 'build' team works directly from JIRA issues. - So from Zoho, through Zapier (for the time being) we generate a JIRA issue for the build team (works great) and would LOVE to, in that same effort, create a SD issue that has the request participant of the Sales Rep.  This is the purpose. ...for us.

I'll follow that issue. Thanks for that. I'm glad it's not just me.  It's usually just me that wants the things I want. haha.

Best...

Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 15, 2016

Er well if you're using Zapier via API you could just hit the issue with with an issue_update immediately when you get the 201 with your key? Or can Zapier not do that? 

You'll know the issue at that point at least.

Chris Purser June 16, 2016

Thanks for the suggestion, but Zapier doesn't seem to work that way.  It shows us the fields in JIRA that it's been provided for filling. Since the RP field isn't available in JSD on create, I guess it's not provided to Zapier to display to us either. It's a 'formula' builder UI that can't be manhandled, so much. I'm still looking for a workaround.  If I find one, I'll post it here. There were some hopeful threads in the open issue you mentioned earlier.

Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 16, 2016

Yes, the workaround to copy the values from one custom field into the Request Participants field seemed promising, even for your use-case. When you're creating issues via API, you can only provide fields that are on the Create Screen. Zapier probably does this by asking JIRA for the Project/Issue Type metadata, which includes the fields on the create screen. This way it accomplishes it programmatically. 

A thought – 

• Add Request Participants (CUSTOM FIELD) to the create screen
  • Add a Misc Workflow Extension Post-function Copy field to field and configure it to move (Request Participants (CUSTOM FIELD) >> to >> Request Participants)
  • Move that post-function to the bottom of the post-function list, after the data is indexed (IMPORTANT!)
  • Give it a shot smile

Ok so yes... full disclaimer - if you can't tell, I'm pretty new at Jira. But I'm trying to do this.  I've created the custom field and added it to the create screen. When I go into Post functions for that workflow transition, I don't have a Copy field to field option.
image2016-6-16 19:37:37.png

I thought maybe you weren't being literal with the name.... So I tried Update Issue Field but am given only these options.  Not sure where else to look.

image2016-6-16 19:39:29.png

Sorry.. found it.  that's a Plugin! err.. add-on.  smile Working that test now and will report back after I've flushed it out some.

Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 17, 2016

Good luck! smile

Chris Purser June 20, 2016

ok - latest update.

I have created a custom field called Requester Email and I can populate that through my zapier automation.  That part is easy. I've got the post function in place to copy that field into the request participants field, as so:

image2016-6-20 20:24:10.png

This seems right to me but again, the green shade of my experience showing...

It is the LAST function in the post functions setup (is this the problem?):

image2016-6-20 20:25:34.png

So I seem to believe there is more than a single problem.

#1 It doesn't seem to even try to do this, although I'm not sure what I expect on a failure.  But even if the requester email is a JIRA Admin in the project it's still not populating this Request participants field.

#2 it REALLY doesn't like it if the request participant I'm trying to add (even manually) is not already, previously, a registered user. This will make it very hard to programmatically create issues for requesters that have not already been setup in JSD. I think.  Although the email channel seems to do it just fine.

Any ideas?  smile

Cheers

Chris

Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 20, 2016

1. Can you check the application logs for an error? I think you have that correct.

2. There's no great solution here. There's a workaround listed on this JSD comment –

For Public Service Desks (enable public registration):
Use the Service Desk API to create an issue on a public service desk using their email address for the raiseOnBehalfOf parameter (Requires additional permissions)*
This will create a ticket and if the email does not already have an account, send an email invitation.
https://docs.atlassian.com/jira-servicedesk/REST/cloud/#servicedeskapi/request-createCustomerRequest

For Private Service Desks

The API user will need to be able to Administer Projects, and Modify Reporter

1. Create a new simple public service desk, I called it "ONBOARDING"
  2. Use the Service Desk API to create an issue on a public service desk using their email address for the raiseOnBehalfOf parameter
  3. After this you will need to poke around to find the Service Desk Customers role for the project you want them to join:
    GET ... /rest/api/2/project/<service_desk_project_id>/role
  4. POST ... /rest/api/2/project/<service_desk_project_id>/role/<service_desk_role_id> { "user": ["user@example"] }

This will allow you to invite a user and add them to a private service desk.

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSD-3398?focusedCommentId=907628&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel#comment-907628

Chris Purser June 20, 2016

Hey Steven, Thanks.

No - I don't know where to find those logs...

I'm using the public SD but I don't have a way to use the API directly as I'm not building a custom interface, I'm using someone else's... Zoho via Zapier.  Zoho has major field limits and Zapier doens't seem to let you just write your own API stuff, although I can't confirm that as I would not know how to use it anyway.

Alas, imprisoned by my inexperience. haha.

But I'll keep trying and if I discover a way through this, I'll post back.

Thanks!

0 votes
Meck
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 14, 2016

Cris, I will looking for a little and I will comeback here.

Suggest an answer