Add page title to separate production stage from test

Tobias January 7, 2021

Hi guys,

we use to stages for our JIRA application.

Often it happens that people made changes in the test stage because the looking of the toolbar was the same. We already changed the colours but we want to add a little statement "Teststage" next to the logo. 

How can we do this? Is there a better solution than the announcement banner? 

Thank you guys.

2 answers

1 vote
Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 8, 2021

Years back when I faced the same issue it helped to kill SSO login from the non-production environments.
Requiring the users to type in their username and password made them recognize that it is NOT production environment (^= behaving differently).

When slowed down by some seconds and then >additionally< seeing a different color, an announcement banner and probably a different logo (all that was already mentioned above) they recognized it is not non-production environment where they landed.

And, finally, this sounds bitter as a grapefruit but is telling the truth: after having inserted important data one or two times while recognizing this is going no where but on a test environment staff learned and it did not repeat. Although I do not like this kind of education.

Regards,
Daniel

1 vote
Tessa Tuteleers
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 7, 2021

Hi @Tobias , 

as you mentioned already, you can change the colour of the top menu bar. You could also change the logo to something different to reflect the environment, and add an announcement banner with (bold, red) HTML to really stand out at the viewer.

Per your request, it is possible to add extra text/links in the top menu bar itself if you have scriptrunner installed with wegfragments, but I'n not sure this would be more noticeable then colour or bold statements in the announcement bar. 
You can find more info about this in this question.

Hope this helps, 

Let me know if you have any other questions! 

• Tessa
Radek Dostál
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 7, 2021

I would only add to this that whenever you restore the data from production to any of the development instances, it will overwrite all of these settings again.

When we do these "periodical dumps to another test server" we automate things like banners and colors by modifying either the Jira xml backup file, or sql dump, those are just extra steps so no need for now. Announcement banner is the most noticeable - we just put a nice bold brightly colored div "text etc DEV INSTANCE text etc" across the whole instance, can't miss it.

All to say to remember you need to do these changes everytime that you restore the dev instance.

An example what you can try putting in Announcement Banner:

<div style="font-size: 14px; font-weight: 400; line-height: 1.42857143; letter-spacing: 0; font-family: -apple-system,BlinkMacSystemFont,Segoe UI,Roboto,Oxygen,Ubuntu,Fira Sans,Droid Sans,Helvetica Neue,sans-serif; color: #172b4d; margin: 3px 8px; padding: 1px 6px; text-align: center; display: block; border: 2px solid #00285F; background: orange;">
<b>DEVELOPMENT ENVIRONMENT</b> - <b style="color: red">and any other extra data you need</b>
</div>
Like Tessa Tuteleers likes this
Tobias January 7, 2021

Hi @Radek Dostál and @Tessa Tuteleers 
the possibilities you describe are nice but I want to add it next to the logo and not underneath. We reached this with a statement in the announcement banner but after my dump, the announcement box is empty :(
Do you have an idea how I can add a bold statement next to the logo something like "Teststage" oder something else. 

Thank you in advance. 

Radek Dostál
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 7, 2021

You could try something like in ann. banner which will just add some HTML next to the logo.

document.querySelector("#logo > a > span").insertAdjacentHTML('afterEnd', '<b>TESTSTAGE</b>');

Other than that - need to upload a new logo I suppose.

But from my point of view, I doubt that people look at logo, that's not the point of interest when they want to do something. Can barely see it peripherally.

Suggest an answer