Add lock JIRA table to fast track transition code

Alexey I_ Kiyashko May 25, 2014

Hello!

We run JIRA 5.0.3 and use Script Runner plugin 2.0.7

Is there a way to lock JIRA tables when executing the "fast track transition" post function? I can do it in SQL, but I need to use this in the groovy script.

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jozef Kotlár
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 25, 2014

It seems to me that you need to dive into MS SQL concurrency control (isolation level) - the default level is way too pessimistic - at least for JIRA.

Did you followed installation steps for MS SQL? Step 5.

Jozef - it was not me who installed JIRA, but I see this in dbconfig:

<jdbc-datasource>
<url>jdbc:jtds:sqlserver://jiradbserver:1433/jiradb</url>
<driver-class>net.sourceforge.jtds.jdbc.Driver</driver-class>
<username>username</username>
<password>password</password>
<pool-size>15</pool-size>
</jdbc-datasource>

So I guess that the step 5 of installation is done correctly with jdbc connection

Jozef Kotlár
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 25, 2014

Sorry - Step 3.5

Thank you for suggestion, Jozef!

READ_COMMITTED_SNAPSHOT option is OFF

I'll turn it on when the working day is over and then try to test.

Alexey I_ Kiyashko June 1, 2014

It seems that the problem was there - no more deadlocks in logs. Thank you for your suggestion!

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 25, 2014

Why do you think you need to lock the tables? It's pointless if things are working properly, which suggests you're breaking something, or you've got an issue and you're reaching for some solution (and in this case, you're reaching for the wrong one)

The point is that things are not working properly :( Look in the logs:

2014-05-26 10:54:13,355 Thread-1382 ERROR user_1 649x201397x1 g5v7ch 192.168.128.17 /secure/WorkflowUIDispatcher.jspa [atlassian.jira.transaction.TransactionSupportImpl] Unable to rollback transaction : Error occurred while rolling back transaction. (Connection net.sourceforge.jtds.jdbc.ConnectionJDBC3@25222683 is closed.)

2014-05-26 10:54:13,527 Thread-1382 ERRORuser_1 649x201397x1 g5v7ch 192.168.128.17 /secure/WorkflowUIDispatcher.jspa [groovy.canned.utils.WorkflowUtils] Errors: {}
Error Messages: [Could not find workflow instance #59759: root cause: SQL Exception while executing the following:SELECT NAME, INITIALIZED, STATE FROM OS_WFENTRY WHERE ID=? (Connection net.sourceforge.jtds.jdbc.ConnectionJDBC3@25222683 is closed.)]

2014-05-26 10:54:18,238 Thread-1385 ERROR user_1 652x201664x8 g5v7ch 192.168.128.17 /secure/QuickCreateIssue.jspa [atlassian.jira.workflow.OSWorkflowManager] Caught exception while attempting to perform action 211 from workflow 59761 on issue 'ISSUE-21'
com.atlassian.jira.exception.DataAccessException: org.ofbiz.core.entity.GenericEntityException: while inserting: [GenericEntity:ChangeItem][newvalue,null][field,assignee][oldstring,user_2][id,274798][fieldtype,jira][oldvalue,username_2][newstring,null][group,186910] (SQL Exception while executing the following:INSERT INTO changeitem (ID, groupid, FIELDTYPE, FIELD, OLDVALUE, OLDSTRING, NEWVALUE, NEWSTRING) VALUES (?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?) (Transaction (Process ID 66) was deadlocked on lock resources with another process and has been chosen as the deadlock victim. Rerun the transaction.))

I think this occurs because I have a lot of these post functions running at same time - that's why I concluded I need to lock the table.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 25, 2014

I'm afraid that is, as I feared, the wrong answer. You should not lock the table, you need to correct the settings on the server side. Jozef already dug that up for you :-)

Suggest an answer