Add issues to closed sprint?

Jimi Hullegård February 25, 2013

Hi,

We recently closed a sprint in Jira, and started a new one. However there was one issue that belongs to our current sprint, but really should belong to the closed sprint. The issue is resolved, and deployed into production. So by all logic, it really belonged to the old sprint. And now I just want to move it into that sprint. But I can't do that, since the sprint is marked as done. And I can't reopen it, since we already have started on the next sprint, and we don't want to stir things up to much with that sprint.

Is there really no way to manually move a resolved issue to a resolved/done/closed sprint?

6 answers

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
cgauterio
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 25, 2013

Hi Jimi,

You can add the Sprint field to the edit issue screen associated to the project that issue belongs to. Then, you can edit the Sprint field and add the SprintID of the correct sprint. To retrieve the SprintID please refer to:

How can I find out the Sprint ID of a particular Sprint

Hope this helps!

Cheers,

Clarissa.

Jimi Hullegård February 25, 2013

Hi Clarissa,

Thanks, that worked great!

Just one minor thing. In the sprint report for the closed sprint, this issue still shows up under "Issues Removed From Sprint" (it was included in the sprint in the beginning, then removed, and then we forgot to move it back in), instead of under "Completed Issues" as expected. I don't suppose there is a way to re-generate this report?

/Jimi

Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 8, 2013

The manual editing of the Sprint is something not expected to be done in GreenHopper and what Clarissa suggested was just a workaround. May be the right way is to just leave it and close in the next sprint as, sprints are timeboxed. Just an opinion

Jimi Hullegård April 8, 2013

Thanks for your input Renjith. Although my view on this is that computer systems should be adapted to human behaivor, not the other way around. :)

Like # people like this
the-noob April 11, 2013

Hi Clarissa,

As Jimi I have a problem with the Reporting tab in the Agile view.

I've forgot to add a task before closing the sprint, I've created a new task and assigned the sprint number (enabled the field in 'editing' task) but it doesn't show at all in the reporting tab, not even in 'Issues Not Completed'

Using v. 6.1.6

Bogdan

boardtc
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 10, 2013

I closed a sprint with an issue getting moved on, it gets marked with completd sprint. We then relaised it was a "spike" (custoem issue type) rather than a story and closed it. But the problem is the reporting tab shows it as a not completed story, it's unfortunate the reporting tab is not editable in any way....

Using JIRA Agile v6.1.1

3 votes
Marci Boecking July 25, 2017

Hi all,

I see this original question was back in 2013.  I'm guessing something changed around what values are shown in the Sprint drop-down since I'm not able to associate a ticket with a sprint that has been closed.  If I try to manually type in the old sprint, Jira warns me that it doesn't exist and that it will be added to the backlog, which is not where I want it.  Any ideas?  Is there a way to override this?

Triple Dip August 11, 2017

I'm in the same boat as Marci - would love to know the current way to do this!

Like Nacho Redondo likes this
Edward Basiliere December 27, 2017

Yeah it looks like you can't use the Sprint ID in the edit screen anymore. 

You should be able to update the sprint with a bulk-change though. It will need the Sprint ID (instructions in the accepted answer above) instead of sprint name.

Like # people like this
Ivar Vasara February 19, 2019

Still a problem in 2019.  This seems like it should be a relatively straight forward task to accomplish. :(

Like Dirk Steinkopf p likes this
nabgilby March 5, 2019

Yeah, we closed all subtasks but forgot to close the parent task, want to move this parent task into the prior closed sprint, can't figure out how.... ugh

Deleted user May 7, 2019

Edward's advice worked for me.

1. Go to the Sprint Report and find the sprint the current issue is in

2. Click on the 3 dot icon and click View Sprint in Issue Navigator

3. In another tab, go to the sprint report and find the sprint that you want to move the sprint to

4. Take the sprint ID (just the number itself) from the sprint report and copy it.

5. In the tab with the issue navigator, click on Tools -> Bulk Change

6. Choose the Edit Issues option and checkbox only for the issues you want to move.

7. Find the Sprint field, make sure the box is checked, and paste the sprint ID number into the field.

8. Submit the change, and verify in the issue that the issue now belongs to the new sprint. 

Like # people like this
Rilwan Ahmed
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 27, 2019

Thanks @[deleted] , This  works in Jira 7.5.3 

Like Deleted user likes this
Celine Hau October 22, 2020

Works but omg, have to reopen an old sprint - which requires you to switch on the option enabling parallel sprints, if you already have an active sprint. WHAT THE HECK

Dario Andres Palminio Choy May 19, 2021

Use advanced search, 3 dots, -> Bulk Change -> select issue -> Edit issue and Next, -> Change sprint and put sprint number in text box and next & confirm.

Bulk-Change-2021-05-19-19-31-Change-issue.png

Like Mickey Sandre likes this
3 votes
Sheena Chen July 18, 2016

Hi everyone,

I was able to move an issue from an active sprint to a closed one (e.g. sprint 3 to 2). However one unanticipated problem we encountered was that the closed issue did not contribute to the velocity count for the closed sprint. Is this fixable?

1 vote
Thomas O'Grady October 23, 2019

Something I found that works is to go into the closed sprint report (doing this prior to starting next sprint), >select the 3 dot icon, >reopen the sprint, (all stories will move back into sprint), > go back into newly opened Active sprint, close the story that was inadvertently carried over, >reselect the Complete Sprint icon to close again.

Points for missed story will now show up in the sprint report.

0 votes
PaulH April 15, 2013

We're considering making the Sprint field editable as suggested here. Are there any downsides to this? Unanticipated bugs, etc.? For example, does moving the field in the UI update other fields that don't get updated when the Sprint field is edited directly?

0 votes
the-noob April 8, 2013

Hi Clarissa,

As Jimi I have a problem with the Reporting tab in the Agile view.

I've forgot to add a task before closing the sprint, I've created a new task and assigned the sprint number (enabled the field in 'editing' task) but it doesn't show at all in the reporting tab, not even in 'Issues Not Completed'

Using v. 6.1.6

Bogdan

Suggest an answer