Add field to Log Work form

Vinutha Vasan January 6, 2014

Hello,

Extracting type of work spent on certain Jira tickets would add a lot of value to our activities in our team . So , I would like to know if the following features are available ( or feasible to develop)

1) “Effort Type” field in the Log Work form ? A drop-down may be , consisting of choices like { Setup , Test Development , Debugging etc } .

2) Pull out this field for all/many Jira tickets of a program . eg: If I want to extract Time Spent on debug for macros.

Thanks,

Vinutha

3 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
RambanamP
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 6, 2014
Vinutha Vasan January 6, 2014

Is there an alternative to achieve this on edit screen with custom fields.

If I have multiple categories of efforts like Debug , Setup etc , should we create multiple custom fields ? Updating multiple custom fields will become very tedious in addition to the entries we already do in Work Log Page

Or is it possible to have a relational field like that gives the following effect ?

Effort Category

Hours

Debug

Setup

RambanamP
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 6, 2014

not sure!!

some third pary plugin is there to track worklog, check this

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/is.origo.jira.tempo-plugin

0 votes
Gregor B. Rosenauer February 14, 2019

Atlassian seems to hold back as not to p* off 3rd party plugin providers, but if a custom field is the biggest USP of a plugin, then I'd find it questionable to charge money for it.

YouTrack has this for some time now, on the other hand... you can even configure the time log fields and values to your hearts content.

0 votes
Ryan Pelletier August 17, 2015
My solution, which is a huge hack, unfortunately, was able to solve my companies issue.
I created a JIRA plugin. I modified the logwork.jsp to add a select box, then I used the Servlet-Filter Plugin Module to get the request params for this pattern (/secure/CreateWorklog.jspa). I was then able to do what I needed to do with the value from the select box, and the rest of the log work form. 
Unfortunately, I think you are out of luck if you cant modify the jsp. 
Did you come up with a solution to this problem, besides handing hundreds/thousands of dollars to a third-party plugin company?
Bhupesh Nagda November 27, 2018

hi,

Could you please post your complete solution here?

It would really benefit a lot of people including us :)

We are using jira 7.12.1 and would like to implement this. We need to add a dropdown field on log work screen.

Many Thanks!

Bhupesh

Suggest an answer