Add description for Project field

Kim Wall January 23, 2013

We have several projects in our JIRA instance and many are widely available. Sometimes, users aren't given good guidance and aren't told to select an appropriate project for their new issue and just leave the default project. This is fine if they've created an issue before as the project is likely appropriate. But if they're brand new, it ends up defaulting to a project that is usually not the one they want. Luckily, most of them come to me, the admin, and I know who to reroute things to, but I'd like to help users out a bit.

Is there a way to add a description to the Project field so that I can add wording such as "Please select an appropriate project" that will display on the screen? Yes, it seems silly and I don't think it's necessary for most users but I'm trying to help with an issue that has been plaguing some of our less observant users.

I know I can add a description to custom fields but I don't see a way to change system fields.

Any help is appreciated!

3 answers

0 votes
Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 2, 2013

May be enable the Text gadget in JIRA, and add a short description on the System Dashboard page which tells the users how to create issues and how to select the projects. You can also give examples if needed. As the text gadgets supports HTML, you can give have a guide with pictures showing sample issues.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Adding+the+Text+Gadget

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Configuring+the+Default+Dashboard

0 votes
darylchuah
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 23, 2013

Perhaps you can try to Configure an Announcement Banner to create awareness and inform user about which project to be select for the appropriate issue.

Kim Wall January 24, 2013

That's a little heavy handed and it takes up a lot of screen real estate. I've added instructions to the system dashboard, but people don't always read those. I really just want the instructions to show up next to the Project field.

Thanks!

0 votes
Rahul Aich [Nagra]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 23, 2013

restricting visibility of project to users is an option. Unless a user has browse project project permission he will not be able to view the project. So, when a new member requests user account set-up, you may also ask him which project he intends to work on and that way you give him browse project permission (via permission scheme) only for that project.

This way he will only be able to view the project he is allowed to view and therefore raise issues in it by default.

Rahul

Kim Wall January 23, 2013

Yes, I know. And we do limit visibility already. But as I mentioned, most projects are appropriate for everyone to have access to so those are wide open. Given there are so many projects available for users to submit issues for, I'd like to provide guidance to remind them that they need to choose a project so they don't mis-submit tickets.

Thanks!

Suggest an answer