Add column to list of Sub-Tasks

Rene Rath March 12, 2013

We are hosting Jira ourselves and in our setup, Stories have Sub-Tasks. In the detail view of a story, I do see the related Sub-Tasks, but I only see their status, summary, type, assignee and work log. I want to add a column to display the ID of each sub task.

I am aware that I do see the ID when I hover over the sub task summary, but in order to minimise risks for mixups and misunderstandings, I want the ID in plain sight as a separate column.

When I go to

admin panel > System > General Configuration > Advanced

I currently see "issuetype, status, assignee, progress" in the field "jira.table.cols.subtasks". Is this the right spot to add that column? And if so, what is that field's name? "id", "issue id" and "issueid" all yield "The following fields are invalid" followed by whatever I tried so far.

10 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 13, 2013

From memory, you need either key or issuekey. (For custom fields, you can hover over them, get their ID and then put in customfield_xxxxx)

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 11, 2016

Think that one is just "version" (the other version os affectversion)

Chris Longfield July 14, 2016

Thanks Nice, that list is good.  The key for that field is fixVersions (note the plural and the cap)

Eric Salonen
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 12, 2016

Any idea what the variable is for attachment? Seems like most of the variables listed in the IssueFieldConstants page are invalidated when entered into the Advanced Settings (JIRA 6.4)

Like Alex Dunn likes this
2 votes
Paul Stahlke
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 29, 2016

In JIRA 6.4, I added the issue key by editing Admin > System > General Configuration > Advanced > jira.table.cols.subtasks as follows: 

issuekey, issuetype, status, assignee, progress

Pete P
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 6, 2019

Thanks for this, exactly what I needed.  I am kind of afraid to try it though to my prod environment

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 6, 2019

Don't be - the worst case is you'll get a name Jira doesn't recognise and that will give you a blank column with whatever you put in the settings as a header.

e.g. issuekey, customfield_10010, cat, issuetype, 52345, status

Would give you the header

Key, (name of customfield), cat, Issue Type, 52345, Status

With no data in the cat or 52345 columns.

If in doubt, just copy and paste the existing string into a text editor to keep a hold of it to re-paste it in (or come back here and paste in Paul's string)

Pete P
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 6, 2019

Worked perfectly, thanks Nic!

Like Tom Cooper likes this
Madhu Reddy February 25, 2019

Hi @Nic Brough -Adaptavist-  As Paul said it works for Sub-tasks.

I want the same for issue links. Can I do it  ?

Thanks in Advance

Ajay Kumar September 5, 2019

Hello, 

Can we set this for a particular project only? 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 16, 2019

No, it is a global setting.

Ajay Kumar September 18, 2019

Ok, Thank you for confirming, 

D T October 23, 2019

Hi @Nic Brough -Adaptavist-

We moved from Jira 6.3.10 to Jira 8.3 recently.

Regarding Paul Stahlke's comment, we added 'issue type'.

Before in Jira 6 it was displaying the issue type as it's name, but now it's displaying it as the issue type icon.

Do you know how we can get it to display the text again instead of the icon?

Regards,

David

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 27, 2019

You would need to have the code in Jira to put back in a display of the name instea of the icon.

Tomasz Skalniak February 4, 2020

Nic Brough {Adaptavist}

do you know how exactly do that? Thanks!

Best,
Tom

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 4, 2020

Only the theory - you'd need to hack the templates that render it.

mikutech July 24, 2020

Sorry @Paul Stahlke , where is jira.table.cols.subtasks exactly? I went to Admin > System > General Configuration > Advanced, I do not see it on the left heading at all, nor is that table listing anywhere. in the main body of the page.

Searching for it in admin yields no results. I'm Jira 8.4.

EDIT: Figured it out: [Advanced Settings] is a button on the top right of the Settings page.

Like Deleted user likes this
Tijs Tijert September 3, 2021

I found it there aswell mikutech.
I wanted to add "duedate" in this table, so I can see in the task when a subtask is due.
I edited the table values, but i think I am still missing a final step in the process, because allthough the change was stored, I still don't see the column in the table on the Task detail page.

due date subtasks.jpg

I also tried taking out columns, but nothing happens to the table.
What Am I missing?

Like Ricardo Jacamo likes this
Ricardo Jacamo June 7, 2022

Hi, @Nic Brough -Adaptavist-,

I'm trying to insert sub-tasks' due dates as an additional column on tasks' edit/view screens by including "duedate" in jira.table.cols.subtasks, but I can't get Jira Cloud to render the corresponding column. This is the way I tried to configure the inclusion of "due date."

jira-table-cols-subtasks-config.jpg

I'm wondering if you can spot any problems with my implementation. Your help is much appreciated!

Ricardo

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 7, 2022

I think it might be just "due", rather than "duedate"

Ricardo Jacamo June 8, 2022

Hi @Nic Brough -Adaptavist- 

I tried changing it to "due," but Jira prevented me from saving the update. Instead, it showed a warning: "The following fields are invalid: due." Do you know if it may have something to do with the fact that I'm working on Jira Cloud and not Server?

1 vote
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 12, 2013

I am aware that I do see the ID when I hover over the sub task summary

Do you mean the issuekey ? Id is the 6 digit numeric value.

Govardan Krishna May 27, 2013

Hi Jobin,

Do you know what is the field name that gives the sub task issue type name? i want to see sub task issue type name when i am viewing my parent issue.

sub task type name like Bug, New Feature..

Appreciate your help

Dipti Ranjan Behera
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 26, 2013

Hi Krishna,

To know the issuetype name use the word 'issueType'.

Miguel De Dios February 23, 2014

I can't seem to get to this configuration in JIRA 6. Did something change? I want to be able to view the issuekey of my linked sub-tasks on parent tickets

0 votes
Eric Salonen
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 28, 2019

I ended up finding the app https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1212709/issue-matrix

Highly recommend, does a whole lot!

0 votes
Jeff Cox September 16, 2016

This works when you open the issue with  "View Issue in Jira".  Is there any hope of managing what shows up in the details pane that opens to the right of the backlog view when you select an issue?  I would like to be able to add the IssueType to the Subtask list in that view. 

Admin January 9, 2018

Jeff, did you get a solution for this , I am also looking for the same, and my issue is the sub-tasks order is different in "View Issue in Jira" and it is other way in the the details pane that opens to the right of the backlog view. How to get the same order in both views?

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 27, 2014

I don't think it is - I've got an OnDemand here and I can't get into the advanced stuff under general config.

0 votes
Rene Rath April 27, 2014

Cannot say, I only have an OnPremise instance of jira. Maybe someone else can answer Vivek's question?

0 votes
Vivek Siddhartha April 27, 2014

Does this optional available with OnDemand as well?

0 votes
Vivek Siddhartha April 27, 2014

Does this option available with OnDemand as well??

0 votes
Rene Rath March 13, 2013

issuekey was the key! Cheers, Jobin & Nic!

Suggest an answer