Add an email notification on certain status change

Vasilis Gennaris January 10, 2018

Hi all, 

i have a new column that is called Review and i want to create a email notification to a certain recipient whenever an issue goes to that column. I am a little bit confused about how this works. I read lot around that but i didn't manage to do it.. Any help would be more than welcome!

2 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 10, 2018

Hello,

Do you mean that there is a Status called Review. If so, then you have to create a custom event and then fire this event on the transiton which leads to the Review status. Then you setup the project notification scheme to whom emails must be send if this custom event fires. You can find more info here:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/configure-a-custom-event-notification-for-a-specific-jira-workflow-transition-or-status-720831525.html

My problem that when i create an event according to the documentation, i cannot find the default email template for the event created. 

See in the screenshot the available choices for the template..Screen Shot 2018-01-10 at 12.03.41.png

Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 10, 2018

Choose Generic Event

I did that and i added me and one other to get notified, but again we don't get any notification. I published also the changes for my workflow!

Anything else that i should check?

Screen Shot 2018-01-10 at 13.07.58.png

Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 10, 2018

Could you make a screenshot of the list of the post-functions in the transaction? I would like to see how you fire the custom event.

Screen Shot 2018-01-10 at 13.20.50.png

Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 10, 2018

I guess, you ve done everything. It must work......

Yeap, i was thinking the same.. :)

Vasilis Gennaris January 12, 2018

It worked after some time.. :/

Like Lucquin Sofian likes this
Lucquin Sofian March 14, 2019

Hello, I am in the same situation.

After how long does it work?

Sorry for my English, I'm French, I've translated Google.

Have a good day,
Sofian

Like Matt Benton likes this
Matt Benton June 6, 2019

Same here, it's been an hour but nothing yet..

Priyanka Khare June 7, 2019

hi 

Alexey Matveev @Matt Benton 
@Vasilis Gennaris  Hi Guys, can anyone you please help me out-

1. I want to send out notifications to a group whenever the status changes

2. I followed the guide https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/configure-a-custom-event-notification-for-a-specific-jira-workflow-transition-or-status-720831525.html and did everything as per this. 

3. in the drop down of choosing default email template I chose generic as instructed by you @Alexey Matveev 

4. edited m,y notification scheme and put my event but did not receive any email.

Can anyone please let me know what am I missing here?

Priyanka Khare June 7, 2019
Matt Benton June 7, 2019

@Priyanka Khare I set this up yesterday and ran several tests using my email as the recipient - it's been roughly 16 hours since running the test tickets and I still have not received an email notification. 

Perhaps someone from Atlassian will pick this up because it seems to be a common issue. 

Rafael Ortega Campana June 19, 2019

A point of attention: 

"Single Email Address: Notifications will be sent only for public issues. Public issues are issues which have a Permission scheme that gives the 'Browse Projects' permission to 'Anyone'(any non-logged-in users)."

0 votes
Lyndsey Kulaw January 2, 2020

Hi - I am having the same issue. Has Atlassian provided any feedback? If not, does anyone know how to contact them to get a response?

Thanks,

Lyndsey

Lyndsey Kulaw January 2, 2020

After further testing, i found that I was not receiving notifications when making the transition because of my user profile setting. If you go to preferences under your profile, select "Notify Me"  for the my changes options. You can always turn this off when you are done with your testing. Another good source I found was the Notification Helper which is under the adm --> System --> Admn Helper --> Notification Helper.  After you populate the three question, hit submit. It will give you reasons why the emails did or did not push through.

Like # people like this
David Silva January 16, 2020

This was must helpful

Like Kelly Okimoto likes this

Suggest an answer