Add acceptance criteria to all user stories

martin steel March 13, 2014

I've added acceptance criteria field to some of my user stories manually.

How can I make the field appear by default to all user stories.

3 answers

3 votes
Rob Hallifax November 2, 2018

Since when was "acceptance criteria" not a standard field in Jira?

Jack Hunter _HeroCoders_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
November 2, 2018

Hi @Rob Hallifax,

The answer is actually "from the beginning".

There is no "Acceptance criteria" field (and never was) in Jira. The concept of acceptance criteria is not directly addressed in Jira.

Nevertheless, Jira is so flexible that it can handle various concepts in many ways, depending on customers' preferences or needs. 

When comes to "acceptance criteria" it is possible to add a custom field and put it on the View and Edit screens for an issue. That solves the most basic needs.

The other way is to develop an add-on or use one of the add-ons available on Atlassian Marketplace. 

My team created Issue Checklist Pro app that solves the acceptance criteria and the definition of done problems through a list of check items. We also use it for testing notes and as a simple ToDo list so the number of possible use cases is very extensive. 

Issue Checklist Pro allows blocking resolving the case if not all items/criteria are completed. It also allows to mention users, link issues, display checklist progress in various places (including issue cards on Agile boards), defines a default checklist for a project or issue type, and more.

I hope that helps.

UPDATE: There is also a free version of the checklist plugin available: https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1220209/issue-checklist-free?hosting=cloud&tab=overview

Cheers,
Jack

Like # people like this
Rob Hallifax November 4, 2018

Thanks for the reply Jack. I'm still getting used to the 'new' Jira but I'll get there!

0 votes
Srikanth July 3, 2019

Field "Acceptance criteria" is not getting displayed in the story card until I give data to it. Is there any way to see the field even if there is no data entered in the story card.

Sammy_Hoelscher December 11, 2019

yes, if you go to the Issue Layout, then there is a section that says "Hide if Empty", make sure it is not in that section.  You should be able to drag and drop into the main section.

0 votes
Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 13, 2014

Make sure you have an Custom field called Acceptance Criteria and add that to the create/edit/view screen of user story and also in the custom field configuration map the field with the issueType and the related project.

martin steel March 13, 2014

Thanks Tarun,

Perhaps my question wasn't very clear.

Acceptance Criteria field already exists, I don't need to create a custom field.

What I'd like is for it to appear by default when editing a user story, not just when I manually add it to the story.

Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 13, 2014

hi martin,

now sure what you mean when you say -

"What I'd like is for it to appear by default when editing a user story, not just when I manually add it to the story."

you want a default prepopulated value for the field? or you want it to present on the edit screen of the user story issueType?

Jack Hunter _HeroCoders_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
November 2, 2018

Hello @martin steel1,

Can you post a screenshot of how your Acceptance Criteria looks on the issue page? That will help us to understand what you actually use.

If it is a standard custom field that is already present on the View screen, then you can add it to the Edit screen too. It will make it visible on the issue edit form.  

Cheers,
Jack

Like Daniel Mendoza likes this

Suggest an answer