Add a read-only text field with a graphic?

Kathy Tempesta April 7, 2013

I need to add a graphic to a create/edit/view screen for people to reference. I thought I could add a Custom Field with the type Read-only Text Field and just add an HTML image reference to the description. The problem is, I can't get the field to show up at all in the desired screen. I know the image is referenced correctly because it shows up on the admin Custom Field page. Am I using the wrong custom field type? Is there another custom field type that does what I need?

1 answer

0 votes
David Chan
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 8, 2013

The "Read-only Text Field" was primarily designed for external imports/API services. It's likely not appearing on any of your screens at all.

In your case, you may want to look into the "Message Custom Field" that is provided by the JIRA Toolkit Pluing:

-David

Kathy Tempesta April 9, 2013

I just tried both of those and still no success getting them visible. I left a couple of things out of my original post that may or may not be relevant:

1. we're on JIRA 4.3.4

2. I'm using the "reference an image in an attachment" hack to see if I can get this working because I don't have server access and don't want to ask for an image upload until I'm sure it works.

Kathy Tempesta April 11, 2013

I should have said, I tried both of the Message Custom Fields options (view and edit) and I'm still not seeing the field at all. I included some text with the graphic and neither is showing at all.

Natalie Hobson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 11, 2013

Is the field itself missing (make sure you added it to the correct screens and that it isn't hidden in field configuration), or is the graphic that should be displayed in the field missing?

My field configs and screens have gotten seriously complicated so I made a test config and screen just for testing this and they still don't show up. I don't think the graphic is missing because I can see it in the Custom Field and Field Config screens.

This was a "nice to have" feature request that I think I am going to have to back burner because of the massive pile of ciritical requests that have come in this week :-)

Natalie Hobson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 11, 2013

One more thing I forgot - is the field global, or confined to particular issue type(s) and project(s)?

Right now it's confined to my test project with no issue type restrictions.

Suggest an answer