Add a field(s) to a Jira issue during workflow that weren't present on create

Nick K April 5, 2017

Hi,

I'm trying to figure out how to do this, or if it can be done:

I have a Jira project called QA Reports, and I want to be able to add fields to an issue during the workflow. In total, I want to have 12 fields through transitions, but when creating the issue I only have the user input 8.

So far, the Create Issue screen has the 8 fields which are seen when you view the issue in its OPEN state. Then, stepping into the workflow goes through the first transition "Begin Testing" and the issue goes into a TESTING state. 

"Begin Testing" has it's own screen which allows the user to input two more fields before completing the transition, but when you view the issue in its TESTING state, you don't see the new fields, just the original 8.

I need to do this for another transition with another screen later on in the workflow, which adds another 2 fields making the total 12 fields. These fields are all one-line-text input, one is a radiobox.

I'm sure I'm missing something simple, anyone know what I need to do?

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 5, 2017

It sounds like you are using the same screen for "create" and "view".  What you need is a set of screens :

• Create:  8 fields
  • Edit: probably the full 12?   Although that will allow people to fill in the 4 transitional fields before using the transitions, so possibly not
  • Begin testing: 10 fields
  • Other transition: 12 fields
  • View: 12 fields

Create, Edit and View screens are controlled by the "issue type screen scheme" and can be totally separate from the transition screens

Nick K April 5, 2017

Thanks for the quick reply, Nic, you're a champion.

I've got it going now thanks to that!

For anyone trying to follow along:

Issues
Screen Schemes
Click Configure to the right of the Screen Scheme you're interested in
Use the top right + button and choose a screen to associate with a certain operation

Suggest an answer