Add a description to Issue Type field on the Create form

Carlos David January 2, 2018

I would like to display a description for the Issue Type system field (below the project dropdown) at the top of the Create form.

In the field configuration for an issue type I've added a description for the Issue Type field, however this description is not shown. Adding the Issue Type field to the Create screen makes no difference. Can anybody help? I'm using Jira 7.3.1.

Thanks! 

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Ignacio Pulgar
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 2, 2018

Hi Carlos,

The Issue Type field's description is currently not displayed in the Create Issue Screen. Maybe that's because its description would vary depending on the specific issue type actually selected.

Once an issue type had been selected, that issue type's description will be displayed on hovering the mouse cursor over the issue type icon:

type-description.jpg

The tooltip is being populated with the issue type global description, and so it is not configurable on a project basis.

Depending on the use case, maybe you can take advantage of the Message Custom Field provided by the free addon JIRA Toolkit Plugin. That new custom field type can avoid having to create multiple field configurations just for adding help text into the Create Issue Screens, as it provides a great method for adding a message in a very flexible way, which also supports HTML.

Hope it helps.

Carlos David January 5, 2018

Thanks Ignacio!

Ignacio Pulgar
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 5, 2018

You're welcome Carlos! :)

Suggest an answer