Add a custom field to the default Issue View Screen

Ryan Peterson September 4, 2012

I've added a custom field to JIRA, but I only see a way to add it to screens that are used during a transition. Resolving an issue for example. When you're just viewing an issue there is a section for People that currently has Assignee and Reporter. I want to add my field to this section, how do I do that?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Derek Hunter October 11, 2012

If you use the "User Picker" widget as your field type then when populated the field will show up under the "People" section of the default issue view in JIRA. If you clear out the field then this field will not show up under the "People" section.

Hope this helps clear up any confusion. I found myself asking the same questions and arrived at this page, but ended up figuring it out.

0 votes
Natalie Hobson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 4, 2012

First, you can add a custom field to any screen you wish. Not sure why you state you are unable to? For instructions on editing screens, go here:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA051/Defining+a+Screen#DefiningaScreen-Configuringascreen%27sfields

Second, the People section is only for fields that display users. So your field will only show there if it is a custom field that displays users.

Third, the field will only display on view screen if it has a value. So, if you made a field "Approver", and you did not give the field a value either through issue creation or editing, then you won't see it when you are viewing the issue.

Suggest an answer