Add a condition to show a transition when the issue link is linked to another issue

Nivine Alaeddine May 22, 2020

Hi,

I have been trying to add a condition on a workflow to say that if an issue link is added on a ticket, then it can move from status Open to Under Management.

I have done a condition for subtasks and it worked but when i used the same method for the issue link nothing is reflecting, and the status is still on OPEN. 

I have used the Condition on linked issue option and but nothing happened.

This is what I created

Condition on linked issue:
At least 1 and no more than 1000 issue links with the following characteristics:
  - Issue link typesany
  - Linked issue's issue typeany
  - Linked issue's statusOpen.
  - Linked issue's resolutionUNRESOLVED
  - Linked issue belongs to any project.
About the rest of issue links:
  - Unselected statuses are not allowed.
  - Unselected resolutions are allowed. by JWT

Can you please help?

Thanks

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Fidel Castro
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 25, 2020

Hi @Nivine Alaeddine ,

You condition is not only requiring an issue link to an issue in "Open" status, but also is forbidding issue links with any issue in status different from "Open".

Please, try the following modification in your current configuration:

• CHECK parameter "Allow unselected statuses:"

Let me know if this modification solves your problem.

Regards,

Fidel

Nivine Alaeddine May 26, 2020

@Fidel Castro  Thank you for your response. I have done what you said but the status is still showing the current status (OPEN) instead of moving on to the next status (Under Management). Why do you think its still acing like that?  

This is how it looks now:

Condition on linked issue:
At least 1 and no more than 1000 issue links with the following characteristics:
  - Issue link typesany
  - Linked issue's issue typeany
  - Linked issue's statusOpen.
  - Linked issue's resolutionUNRESOLVED
  - Linked issue belongs to any project.
About the rest of issue links:
  - Unselected statuses are allowed.
  - Unselected resolutions are allowed

Thank you

Andrew Laden
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 26, 2020

A condition will not transition an issue. It is only used to determine what transitions are valid. It still requires some other actions. (ie a user clicking on the transiton, or some other automation) to actually execute the transition to the next status.

Nivine Alaeddine May 27, 2020

@Andrew Laden  The transition is already hidden and won't appear unless it meets the condition. The strange thing is that I have done the same condition but when creating sub tasks and it worked but it didn't somehow on Issue links.

If I need to make it automated when issue link is attached, how can I do that ?

Andrew Laden
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 27, 2020

You will need to use a add-on like Automation for Jira. A4J has a trigger on "Issue linked" that you can use to detect the link being created, and and action to transition the issue.

Nivine Alaeddine May 27, 2020

@Andrew Laden  now it sounds reasonable! 

Thank You 

Like Andrew Laden likes this

Suggest an answer