Add a Message Field to a view screen

Laura Snoeij January 16, 2018

Hi All, 

We have setup a JIRA project which is viewable for all our customers in which we collect votes for feedback issues. 

To make clear to our customers what our feedback policy is, we like to add a similar field Feedback Policy Field as Atlassian uses for their feedback issues. 

I know there is a custom field type Message Custom Field (for view) within the JIRA toolbox plugin which we installed.  I am able to create such a field, add text and select screens. 

The problem I have is that the field does not show up in my issues. 

Does anyone know what  could go wrong here? 

I am using JIRA server version 7.6.2

3 answers

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 16, 2018

Message fields look like custom fields to Jira, so give the "where's my field?" function a go to start with.  You need them on screens and not hidden by field config, like other custom fields.

However, there are some quirks with them

1.  View really mean view.  Despite the fields always being read only, Jira has two modes for rendering things - view and edit.  A message field for view will not appear on screens that are edit screens (i.e. Create, Edit and Transition screens, and in other places that allow you to change data).  It's the same for edit messages, they only appear on edit type screens

2.  Check where you put the message.  A lot of us put it in the description, which won't work.  I don't think the docs emphasise that you need it in the default value enough, as so many of us miss it!

Laura Snoeij January 16, 2018

Added the text to the default value which solved the problem. Thanks!

Olle Friman February 6, 2018

Hi Nic.

I am using this Message field for view, but can I avoid displaying the field name itself on the view screen? I would prefer just show the HTML code I have added to the default value.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 6, 2018

No, I'm afraid the field name always appears.  I usually call it "note" or "guidance"

Olle Friman February 6, 2018

Ok. Then I know it is a "feature" :)

Thanks for quick reply

Aayush Mohanka May 14, 2020

Is there any way to display static message in edit screen without using jira-toolkit?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 14, 2020

There are other apps that can provide a similar field, but you do need an app to enable something like this.

0 votes
Laura Snoeij January 19, 2018

Hi All, 

Thank you all for trying to help me out.

Nic Brough suggestion to add the actual message in the default value answered my question. 

Laura

0 votes
Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 16, 2018

Hi Laura, 

maybe the field configuration does not match your project or issue type. Have your restricted this in the field configuation?

Check if the field is added to the screens you are using in your project.

Suggest an answer