Add a Group to Another Group

Shelli September 15, 2014

Is it possible to add a group to another group?  For example, we have a group called GroupA and would like to create GroupB that contains all the members of GroupA plus UserOne, UserTwo and UserThree.  If somebody is added/removed from GroupA, then they should automatically be added/removed from GroupB based on his membership in GroupA.

1 answer

1 vote
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 15, 2014

Yes, Use nested groups.

Shelli September 17, 2014

(copied from deleted answer) Just had a quick look at the documentation and it appears that the sub-groups must be LDAP/directory server groups. I am looking for adding JIRA user groups (created in JIRA) to another one.

(copied from deleted answer) Jobin Kuruvilla Sep 15, 2014 You can enable it for the internal user directory too. Just edit the internal directory and check the "Nested groups" option.

I tested this in my lab by setting or internal JIRA directory to use nested groups. I then created a new group, Super Group, and via the "Edit Nested Group Members" screen added two other groups with one member in each. When I view the group in the list of all groups, it shows it has 0 members. Shouldn't it show 2? I then added a single user to Super Group via the "Bulk Edit Group Members" screen and now it shows 1 member in the group list instead of 3.

Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 17, 2014

It wouldn't explicitly add the users from the nested groups in to the parent group. But the permissions will be using the nesting. Did you check by granting permission to the parent group and see if the nested users are getting that permission?

Shelli September 18, 2014

Started from scratch and created three groups: NestedGroupOne - userOne added NestedGroupTwo - userTwo added SuperGroup - userThree added and both nested groups addded Created a test permission scheme where all permissions were set to SuperGroup. Created a test project and set to use test permission scheme. userOne (added to NestedGroupOne) cannot view/work on test project. userThree (added to SuperGroup directly) can. I don't know how to view which permissions userOne has. When I view the profile, all I can see is the list of Groups.

Rising Star
Rising Star
September 18, 2014

Can you try the Permission Helper to find out the permissions of userOne? Looks like you are doing everything right.

Shelli September 18, 2014

It says that userOne is not a member of SuperGroup. I have confirmed that it is a member of NestedGroupOne and that NestedGroupOne a nested group of SuperGroup. There are no permissions associated with NestedGroupOne as I expected them to inherit from SuperGroup.

Suggest an answer