Add a Custom Field multiple times against an issue?

Tom Bridges April 14, 2016

Right, this may sound confusing from the start, but basically we want a Custom Field or similar where things like Test/Review Records can be entered. So each Issue may have multiple test and review records.

We want an easy way for develops to edit issues and record this information (i.e. who/when/result).

How can this be accomplished?

2 answers

2 votes
Michael Partyka
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 15, 2016

Hi Tom,

you can always add many additional custom fields to Screen scheme. E.g.

Test1

Test2

etc...

But only fields which will have value will be presented on screen.

Hope that helped you

Tom Bridges April 15, 2016

But as the number of test/review runs is unknown, wouldn't that mean I need to create endless custom fields?

Can't JIRA handle this kind of thing within an issue?

I want to be able to specify the Current Date/Time, Current User, Test/Review Type, and Pass/Fail multiple times against an Issue. So basically a one to many relationship between an Issue and Test/Review entries.

Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 15, 2016

JIRA only allows ONE instance of a field on the screen. The only option I can see is to put an unlimited text field on the screen and TRAIN people to use it to record the testing. If you only want to be able to review history you can have a transition present the type and pass/fail fields for the user to over write and use a post function to update the date/time and current user fields.

1 vote
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 15, 2016

You will need a Test Management System inside JIRA like SynapseRT.

Suggest an answer