Add Status Jira Simplified Workflow

DerivcoITServer June 6, 2016

This question is in reference to Atlassian Documentation: Using the Simplified Workflow

Adding statuses to workflows is usually a JIRA admin functionality. Recently we have noticed non JIRA administrators (rather project administrators) creating statuses on their own on projects that use Simplified workflows.  Why is this the case? Isn't this contradictory to the JIRA permissions?  

We are thus finding large amounts of custom statuses convoluting the statuses page.  How can we prevent this? Should we be concerned about large amounts of these customization's especially these statuses causing issues with JIRA performance in the long run? 

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 6, 2016

No.  It's a deliberate implementation of JIRA Software.

When a "simplified workflow" is chosen, the project administrators are able to do what they want with the list of status in their workflows.

If you want to stop them doing this, you'll need to take away the simplified workflow.  Make a workflow scheme with the workflow(s) you want them to have, and apply it to the project(s).  They won't be able to add/change status any more.

Huge number of status won't make a huge difference to performance, there are many other more important factors.  It can become a pain for admins though.

Thanks for your quick response.

Would it be safe to assume that Atlassian is working on a permission scheme that will allow project admins more control of their projects, by allowing customization to workflows, schemes, screens ,etc for their projects, rather than having JIRA admins to do these tasks?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 6, 2016

No, I wouldn't assume that - you've already seen the mess "too many admins" can make with a little bit of power, and Atlassian are being cautious about delegation.  They are looking at something, but I very much doubt it's going to be "let them do everything".  Personally, I'm hoping for project-schemes - administrators define a collection of schemes and the project owners can select the one they want to use.

smile Its a nightmare. I like your idea.

Like April Clark likes this
April Clark September 3, 2019

I agree that it's a nightmare. I had a status called "Waiting" because people had requested a way to indicate that they were waiting for input from others. That wasn't enough for some. Using the simplified workflow, they have now added "Waiting for Customer", "Waiting on Customer", "Waiting for Others" and "Waiting to Present". Similarly, we now have "Development" (intentional) and "Developement" - created via simplified. It's a terrible design choice.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 18, 2019

That's exactly the case where an admin should interfere, saying "if you can't be trusted with simplified workflows, we will take them away".  Explain the global impact on everyone of having pointlessly duplicated status and extra complexity.

Suggest an answer