Add Service Desk to an existing Jira project?

Michael Gallagher April 19, 2016

I have looked through every answer or post on this topic and found they either don't answer the question, or they answer it for versions that are not the 3.0.10 server version of Service Desk.

After downloading and installing Service Desk using the Applications area in Jira, I cannot find anywhere in Projects Administration to convert a project to Service Desk.

I also cannot find anywhere throughout the JIRA administration area to turn on Service Desk for existing projects.

When creating a new Service Desk project, it does not ask if I want to apply this to an existing project, either.

The user groups on my account are jira-administrators, jira-servicedesk-users and jira-software-users.

I have not made any configuration changes to Service Desk after installing it.

I have seen this link https://confluence.atlassian.com/servicedesk025/how-jira-and-jira-service-desk-work-together-754977568.html  but when you change the version at top to 3.0 it just goes to the generic front page of the documentation.

Please let me know what I need to do to get Service Desk working for an existing project.

Thanks.

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Elifcan Cakmak
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 20, 2016

if I understand it correctly, you want to change the project type of an existing project to service desk, right?

if so you can do it like this:

click on cog > projects

Selection_004.png

click on change project type and select service desk.Selection_005.png

I come to this conclusion because you said " I cannot find anywhere in Projects Administration to convert a project to Service Desk." 

if your problem is to associate a service desk project with another project, afaik there is no such thing. but you can always use issue linking in this case.

0 votes
Michael Gallagher April 20, 2016

Thanks! this answers it well enough. There are still issues with documentation but I found this link useful for anyone else wandering..

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jiracoreserver070/jira-applications-overview-777015912.html

Suggest an answer