Add Project To Board With Permission Complications

Alix Parker January 5, 2016

I created a new project and want to add the new project I made to our team board, however it only has "Save As" as an option instead of "Save" for me and the other admin. We had a previous employee who owned this board and was able to do it and after they left we deactivated their account and made me and one other employee with the highest admin levels. Why won't it switch one of us as the owner of the board?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
James Strangeway
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 5, 2016

You can't change the owner of the board, but you can create an exact copy and make it the board you use and dlete the old one.

0 votes
Phill Fox
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 5, 2016

@Alix Parker

When you refer to a "team board" are you referring to an Agile board? If so you can login as the departed colleague update the administrator permissions on the board to include yourself and colleague. Then log back in as yourself and remove the departed colleague.

For all people viewing this it is a good principle to always have a backup administrator on every agile board so none become orphaned like you found.

Yes I am referring to a team board. So what's strange is it shows a current employee as the owner of the board because we transferred this when the other employee left and me as an administrator. However, when logged in as the user who is listed as the owner it still only allows a save as option when adding a project to the board, which is the same on me as the administrator. 

We had deactivated the previous employees account, so I reactivated it and added them back to our user group, but when I go to the board to add a project, it also only gives a Save As option.

Not sure if there is anything else I can do besides copying the board and deleting the current.

Phill Fox
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 5, 2016

Are you changing the sharing of the board or of the underpinning filter? Remember you can change the ownership of the filter independently of the ownership of the board. As you are adding other projects I suspect that it is the filter you are trying to save. Try looking at <yourhost>/secure/admin/filters/ViewSharedFilters.jspa to change the ownership of the filters.

Ok I understand, you are right it lists a different account for the owner of our current projects in this section. However, that user was deactivated as well and when I reactivate them, it doesn't allow me to access that area because their permissions have changed. When I am logged in as me, it allows me to go to this URL, see the owner, click change owner, but won't allow me to move forward because it says "The user 'Alix Parker' does not have permission to share with Project: 'Terravita'." which is an old project that doesn't show up anymore.

Phill Fox
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 5, 2016

Have you archived the project 'Terravita' or deleted. If it is deleted then we are at the end of our line for you in terms of being able to use "Save" without resorting to changes in the backend database.

Ok that makes sense. If I click Save As what happens? Does it make a duplicate or what changes are lost? Thanks again for the help.

Phill Fox
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 5, 2016

It will save a new version based upon your current configuration so any changes already made will be kept and you can then share appropriately or update your board to use the new filter.

Suggest an answer