Add Operation for setting Custom Field in Active Sprint view

Evan Brodie January 9, 2018

I have a custom field in my project called "Pair Assignee". It is used for facilitating pair programming assignments within my team (although its use-case is irrelevant for this question). Normally, we can set this value when we open up the webpage for the JIRA card. We can press dot (.) to bring up the Operations / Quick Actions popup, type in "pair assignee" to bring up the appropriate Edit Action from the fuzzy search result, and set the value right in that popup.

However, it would be much faster to be able to set this value in the Active Sprints view of our team's Board, since we normally set pair assignments at the start of the day during Stand-Up. I would love to select a card, press dot, and have the same action appear in the fuzzy search results when I type "pair assignee". However, that is not happening. The only way to set this field would be to search for the "Edit" action and then set the value via mouse clicks. This is theoretically much slower than having a dedicated Operation to set custom fields.

Does there currently exist configuration to allow for my custom fields to be set via Quick Actions / Operations in Active Sprints view?

1 answer

0 votes
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 24, 2018

To the best of my knowledge there is not a way to currently use the dot (.) operations menu to edit a single field directly.   You can certainly select the option of 'Edit' out of this menu, but this in turn will create a popup windows where you can edit all the fields on that issue.   I take it, that isn't really what you are looking for here.

Alternatively, if you select the issue on the board, the right side of the screen has a board issue details view.  This view could be customized to include this field as well, and provided that field also exists on other screens for this issue type in this project, you could then inline edit that field directly on the board's issue detail pane.  But this is not exactly the same as editing the issue on a card itself, nor is it the same as using the keyboard shortcut menu to do this.

I thought perhaps there might be a plugin on https://marketplace.atlassian.com that we might be able to use to do this.  However in my search I was not able to find any such plugins that would allow for a clear customization like this.

Sorry this probably is not the answer you are looking for, but I don't think that this specific action item can currently be done by Jira in the exact manner you are looking for.

Suggest an answer