Active Directory sync not populating "jira-users" group

rob_sked June 24, 2015

Current setting up AD sync with JIRA 6.4.6 and the population fo default groups doesn't happen when I do a full synchronise.

Set up is as follows (domain name has been sanitised:

• Server Settings
    • Name: EU AD Sync
    • Directory Type: Microsoft Active Directory
    • Hostname: eu.tbs.mydomain.com
    • Port: 389
    • Username: eu\service-account-name
    • Password: As given
  • LDAP Schema
    • Base DN: ou=accounts,dc=eu,dc=TBS,dc=myDomain,dc=com
  • LDAP Permissions
    •  Read Only, With Local Groups
    • Default Group Memberships: jira-users
  • Advance settings
    • Synchronisation Interval (minutes): 15

With these setting, i can see all of my users being imported, along with their groups. But they are not being put into the "jira-users" group as I have requested.

Any ideas why this isn't happening ?

Update:

I am seeing this error in the log, however the sync is working correctly in terms that all LDAP groups and users being imported.

2015-06-24 15:42:58,576 atlassian-scheduler-quartz1.clustered_Worker-4 ERROR ServiceRunner     

[com.atlassian.scheduler.JobRunnerResponse] Unable to synchronise directory

java.lang.NullPointerException

at com.atlassian.jira.crowd.embedded.JiraDirectorySynchroniser.runJob(JiraDirectorySynchroniser.java:67)

at com.atlassian.scheduler.core.JobLauncher.runJob(JobLauncher.java:136)

at com.atlassian.scheduler.core.JobLauncher.launchAndBuildResponse(JobLauncher.java:101)

at com.atlassian.scheduler.core.JobLauncher.launch(JobLauncher.java:80)

at com.atlassian.scheduler.quartz1.Quartz1Job.execute(Quartz1Job.java:32)

at org.quartz.core.JobRunShell.run(JobRunShell.java:223)

at org.quartz.simpl.SimpleThreadPool$WorkerThread.run(SimpleThreadPool.java:549)

2015-06-24 15:42:58,576 atlassian-scheduler-quartz1.clustered_Worker-4 ERROR ServiceRunner     

[atlassian.scheduler.core.JobLauncher] Scheduled job with ID 'com.atlassian.jira.crowd.embedded.JiraDirectoryPollerManager.10014' failed

java.lang.NullPointerException

at com.atlassian.jira.crowd.embedded.JiraDirectorySynchroniser.runJob(JiraDirectorySynchroniser.java:67)

at com.atlassian.scheduler.core.JobLauncher.runJob(JobLauncher.java:136)

at com.atlassian.scheduler.core.JobLauncher.launchAndBuildResponse(JobLauncher.java:101)

at com.atlassian.scheduler.core.JobLauncher.launch(JobLauncher.java:80)

at com.atlassian.scheduler.quartz1.Quartz1Job.execute(Quartz1Job.java:32)

at org.quartz.core.JobRunShell.run(JobRunShell.java:223)

at org.quartz.simpl.SimpleThreadPool$WorkerThread.run(SimpleThreadPool.java:549)

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Piotr Klimkowski
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 24, 2015

Hi,

This error being logged, it does not look like it's the cause of memberships not being set correctly.

Connecting to a LDAP Directory page says that:

Note: You can only assign LDAP users to local groups when 'External Management User Management' is not selected.

Start by checking this setting. Next, you might want to set debug logging for crowd under "Logging and Profiling" and see if you can find something in logs. 

rob_sked June 24, 2015

Thanks Piotr, That article clarified the management process and actually helped make a decision about how we manage users. Keeping it switched to off is fine, and I can handle the creation of tickets via groups, which I thought I needed the jira-users populated for. Thanks again, Rob

Suggest an answer