Active Directory Synch # of Groups vs # of JIRA Groups listed under USERS in administration

david woodson August 11, 2011

I see only 145 Group under Administration "users" section vs 2342 groups added to the cache that is shown in the User Directories after the Synch is done. Many of the groups I need I cannot select/see in JIRA.

1 answer

0 votes
Penny Wyatt (On Leave to July 2021)
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 11, 2011

By "added to the cache", do you mean that the correct number is being shown in the JIRA logs? Could you please paste what's shown in the logs (or an edited subset, if it's long) when you perform a synchronisation?

Something like:

[atlassian.crowd.directory.DbCachingRemoteDirectory] full synchronisation for directory [ 10000 ] starting
[directory.ldap.cache.RemoteDirectoryCacheRefresher] found [ 2 ] remote users in [ 31ms ]
[atlassian.crowd.directory.DbCachingRemoteChangeOperations] scanning [ 2 ] users to add or update
[atlassian.crowd.directory.DirectoryCacheImplUsingChangeOperations] scanned and compared [ 2 ] users for update in DB cache in [ 0ms ]
[atlassian.crowd.directory.DirectoryCacheImplUsingChangeOperations] synchronised [ 2 ] users in [ 0ms ]
[atlassian.crowd.directory.DbCachingRemoteChangeOperations] scanned and compared [ 2 ] users for delete in DB cache in [ 0ms ]
[atlassian.crowd.directory.DbCachingRemoteChangeOperations] scanned for deleted users in [ 0ms ]
[directory.ldap.cache.RemoteDirectoryCacheRefresher] found [ 4 ] remote groups in [ 15ms ]
[atlassian.crowd.directory.DirectoryCacheImplUsingChangeOperations] scanning [ 4 ] groups to add or update
[atlassian.crowd.directory.DbCachingRemoteChangeOperations] scanned and compared [ 4 ] groups for update in DB cache in [ 0ms ]
[atlassian.crowd.directory.DirectoryCacheImplUsingChangeOperations] synchronized [ 4 ] groups in [ 0ms ]
[atlassian.crowd.directory.DbCachingRemoteChangeOperations] scanned and compared [ 4 ] groups for delete in DB cache in [ 0ms ]
[directory.ldap.cache.AbstractCacheRefresher] found [ 0 ] remote user-group memberships in [ 15ms ]
[directory.ldap.cache.AbstractCacheRefresher] Migrated memberships for [0] of [4] groups
[directory.ldap.cache.AbstractCacheRefresher] found [ 1 ] remote user-group memberships in [ 0ms ]
[directory.ldap.cache.AbstractCacheRefresher] Migrated memberships for [1] of [4] groups
[directory.ldap.cache.AbstractCacheRefresher] found [ 1 ] remote user-group memberships in [ 16ms ]
[directory.ldap.cache.AbstractCacheRefresher] Migrated memberships for [2] of [4] groups
[directory.ldap.cache.AbstractCacheRefresher] found [ 2 ] remote user-group memberships in [ 0ms ]
[directory.ldap.cache.AbstractCacheRefresher] Migrated memberships for [3] of [4] groups
[atlassian.crowd.directory.DbCachingRemoteDirectory] synchronisation complete in [ 109ms ]

I am connecting directly to our Active Directory. In just the Northern Illinois OU we hae over 12000 users and over 2300 groups. Worldwide we have much more. However when I do a synch the number of groups reported is adding 2342 groups to the cache, this is shown on the Administrator User Dirctories Web Page for the under the "Disable | Edit | Synchronize". However when I go to perform group management I can see only 145 groups.

There are no Errors in the jira090811143430-stderr.2011-08-09.log file that relate to ldap.

[atlassian.crowd.directory.DirectoryCacheImplUsingChangeOperations] scanned and compared [ 12520 ] users for update in DB cache in [ 297ms ]
2011-08-12 07:29:20,529 QuartzWorker-0 INFO ServiceRunner [atlassian.crowd.directory.DirectoryCacheImplUsingChangeOperations] synchronised [ 12520 ] users in [ 297ms ]
2011-08-12 07:29:20,811 QuartzWorker-0 INFO ServiceRunner

I did see an error in the Jira090811143430-stdout.2011-08-12.log.

"Error occurred while refreshing the cache for directory [ 10001 ].
com.atlassian.crowd.embedded.ofbiz.db.DataAccessException: org.ofbiz.core.entity.GenericEntityException: while inserting: [GenericEntity:Group][id,10311][groupName,USDF-S_Affiliate_Americas][updatedDate,2011-08-12 07:29:20.842][description,Security for the Affiliate reporting in the Americas region. This Security is accessed only through the Citrix Winframe System and is for DF5-CPRS only. This grants access to DF5-CPRS\CPRS:" and more follows.

continuation:

"
\affiliate\fx - re][active,1][local,0][type,GROUP][lowerGroupName,usdf-s_affiliate_americas][createdDate,2011-08-12 07:29:20.842] (SQL Exception while executing the following:INSERT INTO dbo.cwd_group (ID, group_name, lower_group_name, active, local, created_date, updated_date, description, lower_description, group_type, directory_id) VALUES (?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?) (Data truncation))"

continuation:

"\affiliate\americas
\affiliate\tools - read only
\affiliate\fx - re][directoryId,10001][lowerDescription,security for the affiliate reporting in the americas region. this security is accessed only through the citrix winframe system and is for df5-cprs only. this grants access to df5-cprs\cprs:
\affiliate\americas
\affiliate\tools - read only"

and more follows:

After more investigation the Description field on the entry is very long and contains back slashes. Is there a way not to load the group descriptions and just the names?

Suggest an answer