Activating User Searching By Full Name with greater than 5,000 users

Kevin VanderLugt
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 14, 2011

Our team is requiring that we have the auto-complete user picker implemented in our enterprise Jira instance. Select lists and User pickers won't work for our application.

I have read the following and had a question regarding performance.

Enables auto-completion of user names in the 'User Picker' popup screen. Also enables JQL-based searching of Full Names. Turn OFF if you have a very large number of users, or if your users' browsers are incompatible with AJAX. If 'User email visibility' (see above) is set to HIDDEN, the users' email addresses will not be searched or shown in the auto-complete results.

Default: ON if you have less than 5,000 users (or OFF if you have more than 5,000 users).

My question would be what can we do to improve performance or allow our jira to use auto-complete? I have turned it on with no noticeable performance issues in our test environment but want to be sure before implementing in production. We currently have ~10,500 in the jira-users group.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Radu Dumitriu
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 14, 2011

Besides Atlassian's recommandation, thsi is useful:

Increase the autocomplete threshold. By defaut, it is 2 chars (if I'm not mistaken), put it 4 chars, provided you do search for names like "Li" "Jo", etc

It will require minimal javascript skills.

Kevin VanderLugt
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 30, 2011

Atlassian had not real recommendations other than turn it off if performance issues are noted.

The comment above is the best idea that was provided for autocomplete. We have not noticed performance issues yet but will increase the character threshold if needed.

Thanks Radu

Suggest an answer