Activate inactive workflow

Sherri Netherby-Cox April 7, 2016

I have several projects associated with a given workflow but want to activate a new workflow I just created for ONE of the projects - how do I do this without affecting all of them?  I still want to retain all of the issue types etc - I just removed ONE transition from the new workflow.

1 answer

1 vote
Jeremy Gaudet
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 7, 2016

Make a copy of the workflow scheme currently in use, then edit the copy to reference the new workflow, then assign the new workflow scheme to the project that you want to use it.

I tried doing that but it doesn't show in the Switch Workflow Schemes drop down and remains -(eyeing me almost mockingly) inactive.

Like Joaquin Gonzalez Gava likes this
Jeremy Gaudet
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 7, 2016

That's odd.  Are you sure that's a workflow scheme, and not a workflow?

Maybe I am going about it wrong?  Can you tell me exactly where this needs to happen.  I am very likely utterly confused.

Jeremy Gaudet
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 7, 2016

Well, while we are at it, you don't have to split the workflows; if all you did was remove a transition, you could accomplish the same thing by adding a condition to that transition such that the project is not equal to X where X is the project you don't want to have it.  You should be able to do that by adding a condition of type "Value Field", set the field to "Project" and do a string comparison "!=".  I'm not sure if it's agains the name or the Key, but it should be easy to figure out.

This may be the better approach, as then changes to the workflow will not have to be implemented twice (assuming you wanted to keep them in sync otherwise).

Failing that, you go to "Administration", then "Issues", then "Workflow Schemes", then scroll down to the scheme currently in use, click on "Copy" for that row (far right end of the row), scroll down to inactive and expand it, then select "Copy of <original workflow scheme name>", click edit, click on the name and change it to something like "ProjectX workflow scheme" (where ProjectX is your one project for this scheme), then click on "Add Workflow" and add your inactive workflow for all types the current workflow is in use for (typically just "All Unassigned").

Once this is done, your new workflow is associated with a scheme that you can select for your project.

Sherri Netherby-Cox April 8, 2016

Hi Jeremy,

The first option worked beautifully!   Thanks so much for your help!

-Sherri

Suggest an answer