Action "CLONE ISSUE" does not work any more

pbg43 June 18, 2012

Without any modification of the environment / plugins / installation we see the following behavior:

The action button Issue-xxx -> More Actions -> clone opens a dialog with the (expected) Clone- Dialog (enter summary..), but when I press the create-button no copy is created.

Instead, it produces two links at the same issue (cloned by and clones) which refer to the same (old issue).

No error message appears, it just does not work.

We tried to clone issue with different Issues, different users, in different projects (using different Workflows), but always with same result: no clone is made. But we know that it worked some days ago.

Any hints how to find out what's going wrong?

Thanks in advance

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 18, 2012

Does your log file say anything? (Around the time someone tries to clone)

I'm also not sure what "it produces two links at the same issue" - could you explain what issues are at either end of the new links? Maybe a screenshot of the view of the issue being cloned?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 18, 2012

Perfect, that confirms that I wasn't misreading what you'd said.

Now that really is an interesting problem. I've no idea how you could get that to happen without coding, but a couple more questions:

• You definitely are using the built-in standard clone function? No plugins providing an alternative?
  • Does your log say anything that might even be remotely related when someone uses "clone"?
  • What does the issue history say? Are there events for the linking appearing? Anything else that looks suspicious?
  • Bit of a long-shot, but can you check the workflow for this issue type? Look for the "create" transition and it's post functions. Do you have any other than these three standard ones?
    • Creates the issue originally.
    • Re-index an issue to keep indexes in sync with the database.
    • Fire a Issue Created event that can be processed by the listeners.

pbg43 June 18, 2012

"it produces two links at the same issue": If I press the two links, I stay at the same issue.

pbg43 June 18, 2012

NIc, great questions!

Asking the right questions is 80% of problem solving: With your help I could isolate the problem to this:

In the Workflow transition from Create-Issue to New I had a Post-Validator that a specific custom filed must not be empty. But if someone clears that field later on, then a clone fails.

Ok, that can be seen as a poor workflow, but I would expect some kind of error notification in that case.

So, my problem is solved

Thanks

Gerwin

Suggest an answer