According to Jira, What is Blocker, Critical, Major, Minor and Trival Bugs? How they're classified?

dineshsp November 8, 2017

In Jira, under priority field there are Blocker, Critical, Major, Minor and Trivial Bugs. Could you please define Blocker, Critical, Major, Minor and Trivial?

3 answers

5 votes
Marie Drahorad April 22, 2019

Hi all - blocker in scrum means that something is blocking the story/epic from being worked on during the sprint.  It has a very special meaning...  using blocker as a priority seems a little off to me.  If you use blocker as a priority it would seem to me that blocker has a totally different meaning... it's the highest level of your prioritization schema... why would you mix paradigms?  Can you send over a clear description of what blocker as a priority means (versus blocked work).

mmason February 12, 2020

What is the difference between using a Blocker versus a Critical, for an issue?

mmason February 12, 2020

A critical shows the element of cruciality, while a blocker actually blocks the Scrum flow-in function, correct?

Kranthi Kiran Pulluru August 4, 2020

The way that we use it internally - 

Blocker - if its blocking someone else's work

Critical - If its blocking the customer from performing some functionality (mostly we assign these to bugs)

How you want to use it is upto you.

Like OraclePro likes this
1 vote
Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 8, 2017

Hi @dineshsp,

They are (just) default names for level 1 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5. If you want them named otherwise, you can do so if you are a Jira Administrator. The only thing to keep in mind, is that you are changing them for your entire instance (for now that is; in the very near future, you will be able to set different priority names at project level).

dineshsp November 8, 2017

Hi Walter,

Thanks for the explanation. Could you please define those terms i.e., Blocker, Critical, Major, Minor and Trivial.

Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 8, 2017

Hi @dineshsp,

You could search for any definition online and I could try to give you one, but that would not make any sense. Jira just offers you a list of 5 priority names to manage prioritisation of your bugs or incidents.

Blocker would be the highest level of priority and trivial would be the lowest. The others rank in between. 

But Jira does not have any intent to be prescriptive about this. How you manage priorities at your organisation is something you should decide and define for yourself. If you want to use the default priorities of Jira, that's fine. In that case, maybe I should be asking you what they (should) mean to you. If you can't explain them or don't know what they mean, than maybe you should define less or other priorities that match your way of working.

From your question, I cannot make up whether you are Jira Administrator or not. But if you are, then you can and should define clear and understandable priorities yourself. If you are not, it would be best to ask this same question within your own organisation, so it becomes clear what you should use when reporting an issue. In that respect, you have a very valid question.

Like # people like this
0 votes
Michael Aglas March 20, 2020

Blocker for us is a showstopper. Means it has the highest impact and everything possible needs to be done to solve that ticket.

Criticcal, I guess, is clear.

Major are tickets that are mostly important, but neither critical nor a showstopper.

Minor tickets are not so important, but still bringing some benefit that should be considered for implementation.

Trivial I would interpret to be really easy to be done, but have no importance. You could also think of nice-to-have as explanation.

Anyway, you are free to adapt the priority names or add other priorities in addition. You may have also different interpretations of priorities dependent of context. That's where the schemes come into play...

Suggest an answer