Accidentally marked an issue as done, changed status back but it still doesn't show up on the board

Andrew Berry July 20, 2021

At some point we had a workflow on a basic team managed kanban project accidentally changed to create issues with the Done status, so when a new issue was created it immediately disappeared from the board.  I went back and found the issue and changed its status back to "to do" but the issue still isn't showing up on the board.  I've looked at the relevant documentation I can find, but haven't found a resolution.  Is there an additional status field I can change?  Where is it?

4 answers

0 votes
Andrew Berry July 22, 2021

So I went back to this to try a couple things one last time, and the issue is showing up as it should now.  No idea what happened.  Random back end caching issue?  Something really dumb on my end? Who knows.  I appreciate all of the help.

If nothing else I've learned that Team managed projects are extremely limited in their capabilities (I get that simplicity is part of their point, but it seems like they're missing too much functionality) and are poorly covered in documentation, so we'll be taking that into account as we move forward.  

Thanks everyone for your input.

Valen Cardozo July 22, 2021

Pleasure to have tried to help you! @Andrew Berry 
Cheers

Jakub Sławiński
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 23, 2021

No problem @Andrew Berry 

Please remember that Jira Cloud is a living product and you cannot assume that if something works today will also work tomorrow ;)

0 votes
Jakub Sławiński
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 21, 2021

Hi @Andrew Berry 

Can you check your board configuration? What do you have in the Kanban board sub-filter?

I have the following default:

"fixVersion in unreleasedVersions() OR fixVersion is EMPTY"

So if I set the fixVersion to a released one, I do not see the issue on the board anymore regardless the ticket status.

Andrew Berry July 21, 2021

I've looked at the documentation for sub filter settings and I simply don't see those options in this project.  Instead of "Board Settings" I see "Configure Board" which gives me far fewer options.  I guess because this is a team managed project and not a company managed project?  I see "Board Settings" in a different company managed project.  

Jakub Sławiński
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 22, 2021

@Andrew BerryCan you show some screenshots of your board and workflow configuration?

I created a completely new team-managed kanban project and everything seems to work fine. I can move tickets back and forth between statuses and the resolution is changing correctly. Moreover, I can always see the tickets on the board regardless they are in done or other statuses.

Have you done any custom modifications to project/workflow/board settings?

0 votes
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 20, 2021

you need to clear the resolution field. That needs to be done in a transition with the post function to clear the field. The resolution field is NULL in the database. Any value in the field will show that it is resolved.

I looked for something like that in the workflow and I don't see any way to access the Resolution field there.  The field just doesn't show up anywhere in this project that I can see.  I can't add it to an issue type, I can't create a new field because it already exists. 

The only place I can see a reference to Resolution at all is in Automations.  I can create an automation that sets the Resolution field, but neither "Unresolved" nor NULL is an option.  If I leave the value to set it to blank the automation throws an error when it runs:

Invalid value for resolution field

No fields or field values to edit for issues (could be due > to some field values not existing in a given project)

Maybe it's because this is a team managed project? Or some other aspect of the project configuration that makes this not available?

Edit to add: I can use an automation to set the Resolution status to some other value that's in the list (I get "Done", "Won't Do", "Can't Reproduce", and "Duplicate") but I can't set it to NULL as far as I can see

Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 21, 2021

Most boards when you move it to done, it either automatically sets the resolution or asks you to put one in. It appears it happens automatically for you. A JIRA admin can fix this. Often if you reopen the issue the transition clears the resolution field. 

I have full Admin access to our Jira instance.  I just don't know what the heck I have to do to fix it.

Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 21, 2021

Put a transition from done to another status that has a post function to clear the resolution field. 

I don't see a way to add post functions to the workflow.  Team managed projects don't seem to have a lot of the things that have been suggested here in this thread and that are shown in the documentation.  The only thing I can add to a transition is a "Rule", and for that I have the below options.  If I select "Update an issue field" the only fields I can access are the Description and Labels.

Screenshot 2021-07-21 143829.jpg

0 votes
Valen Cardozo July 20, 2021

Hi @Andrew Berry 
A pleasure to greet you!
I understand that if a task is placed in done status, if it is then changed to another status for example: In progress, the task will remain with the Done check mark and will not appear in the backlog.

One measure that could be taken is to review the project schemas and the respective workflow of the tasks, so you can add a transition from Done to To Do or any other state you need.

Regards

Valentin

Thanks Valentin.  After I fixed the workflow and confirmed that new issues are created in the correct status I did try adding an explicit transition from "Done" back to "To Do".  Moving the issue in question back and forth through those transitions still doesn't get it to show up on the board.  I looked for some sort of separate "Done" property I could edit directly but didn't see one anywhere.  I also looked in the workflow configuration, I looked in the issue properties lists, I looked in the automation section.  I don't see any likely field pop up in the field pickers, I even looked for documentation on the existing fields that can be accessed via JSON in the advanced automation section and didn't see anything that seemed likely.  In fact I didn't see anything that looked like a complete list of JSON fields that had any sort of field that looked likely.  

Like Valen Cardozo likes this
Valen Cardozo July 20, 2021

Ok, I'm thinking that maybe it's due to a Kanban configuration.

I ask you, did you enter the board settings?
Maybe the "Done" status is not associated to any column and that is why they are not shown.

That's the only thing I think it could be, besides everything you already wrote.
If you come up with a solution, share it with me because I am very intrigued!

Instead of "Board Settings" I see "Configure Board" which gives me far fewer options and doesn't match any of the relevant documentation I've seen.  I guess because this is a team managed project and not a company managed project?  I see "Board Settings" in a different company managed project.  

Like Valen Cardozo likes this
Valen Cardozo July 21, 2021

Now I understand the context a little more, probably because of the type of project!

I don't have much experience working with user managed projects, if I find a solution I will share it with you
Cheers,
Valentin

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events