Accidental deletion of mysql database... What now? The JIRA instance says its locked.

carle May 28, 2013

Bummer. Major bummer.

The DB is missing all the tables that get created when you INSTALL jira; but we already have it installed. It just needs to re-create the tables, and then I can use RESTORE or even a mysqldump file.

Help.

Thanks,

Carl

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Bruna Griebeler
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 28, 2013

Hi Carle!

If you have a dump, you may try to restore it and all the tables will be recreated. After that just point your Jira to the new database.

You can point it on dbconfig.xml file in your JIRA Home Directory.

Click here for more info.

If you do not have a dump, then I suggest you to create another Jira so the tables will be recreated. Of course since the data was on the database it will be lost. But you'll be able to point your Kira do the new database also using the dbconfig.xml.

0 votes
carle May 28, 2013

Thanks everyone. I've got it working again. The weird thing was that when I created the database; using "create database jiradb character set utf8..." the database is just an empty database. That's no surprise. But when I tried to read in my DUMP file, it kept reporting that it wasn't doing anything. That would indicate that it wasn't re-creating the TABLES...

Regarding the comment that was because I had JIRA running, was a bit confusing because I DID shut it down cleanly, and restart it using the startup scripts used by ROOT. Still, it found a reason to LOCK it up because it couldn't find the TABLES it needed in my empty DB. (That was BEFORE I ran the "source" command in mysql to read in the DUMP file.)

Carl

carle May 28, 2013

So with the 2nd half of my last reply; I'm saying JIRA did NOT re-create the tables, as was mentioned. Instead it chose to go into LOCKED mode.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 28, 2013

I'm not sure what the question is here.

If you start Jira and point it at an empty database, it will create all the tables and start "clean". However, you don't need the tables there to restore a backup, that's the point of a database backup.

Jira is locked now because you're running it. Stop it (cleanly). Then start it when you've got the database in the state you need it in.

Suggest an answer