Accessing users to groups by project lead

Rumceisz May 13, 2012

Hi All,

many of my project leads (I am a Jira admin) claim for user administration to their duty. As you know it is possible for all project administartors to use project roles.

But we use common user administration of our Confluence and Jira and hence Confluence doesn't use project roles but groups, using of project roles is not recommended.

Therefore at present I use to administer all the user account related requests.I would like to ask, whether is there any plugin or feature which the project leads can add users also to groups? If it is not a free solution, is not problem?

Or it would be also a clue if the project leads(proejct admins) would have a "reduced" jira administrator permission. Is it possibble?

Thanks in advance for your help!

We use now jira 4.3.4 but we will upgrade to jira 5 in a couple of weeks.

Rumi

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Bob Swift OSS (Bob Swift Atlassian Apps)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 14, 2012

The Confluence CLI Plugin can be used to create a Confluence page with a dialog that allows you to provide selected administration functions to some users. For example add and removing users from groups. Use Confluence page restrictions to limit edit rights to administrators and view rights to selected other users to do the acitons you have defined. I only have a more general how to page that would need significant changes to suit your needs, but the same techniques apply: see How to set up a self service CLI page for Administrators

Rumceisz May 14, 2012

Hi Bob,

this is Jira, not Confluence!

Bob Swift OSS (Bob Swift Atlassian Apps)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 14, 2012

Yes, but you said you have Confluence installed, so use it provide administration features for any Atlassian product supported by the CLI including JIRA. For instance, adding users to groups - use JCLI action: addUserToGroup

Rumceisz May 14, 2012

Hi Bob,

not clear for me: I'd like to achieve this feature only in Jira. I mentioned Confluence, because of Confluence we don't use the project roles (hence Confluence doesn't handle project roles).

This is why we are use solely groups.

0 votes
JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 13, 2012

I wrote a "mygroups" plugin, which allowed groups to have a set of owners, and those owners could upgrade the groups. I wrote it ages ago, and the source is not accessible to me anymore...

I'm just mentioning it to point out that writing such a plugin is quite possible.

0 votes
Radu Dumitriu
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 13, 2012

I'm unaware of such plugin.

However (again, I'm praising myself) we developed this plugin for Jira: https://plugins.atlassian.com/plugins/com.keplerrominfo.jira.plugins.rightsdna . It creates families of users - a family is defined as having same sources of same permissions. Once you have define your families, you can simply say: make this user like 'that particular family'. It does all the necessary stuff to place the user in the roles and groups. Check it and see if it helps you.

Rumceisz May 14, 2012

Hi Radu,

will this feature available also for project leads? I would like to reach that also the project leads will be able to add/remove users for the groups the particular project has in permission scheme.

Radu Dumitriu
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 15, 2012

add a feature request on http://bugs.kepler-rominfo.com, please

Rumceisz May 15, 2012

Hi Radu,

the URL is unavailable.

Radu Dumitriu
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 15, 2012
Rumceisz May 15, 2012

Thanks so much!

Rumceisz May 15, 2012

hi Radu,

let me ask a question: is this an atlassian help forum?

Radu Dumitriu
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 15, 2012

What do you mean ?

Edit: You can email me at radu.dumitriu at kepler-rominfo.com if you have any questions ...

Suggest an answer