Accessing recipient email in Velocity email template

Kalyani Khandelwal August 28, 2013

Hi,

Want to check the email addtess of the recipient in my JIRA and based on the email if the email contain "ext" that is external email id , i need to print the comment in the notification. If otherwise Email should only contain JIRA ticket link as internal user can access it via that link.

I am new to this velocity templates but

$recipient.getEmail() will return a string ? Can I compare it? Is there proper APIs where I can learn and test these templates?

Thanks,

Kalyani

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 28, 2013

$recipient.getEmail() should return a string, from memory. That means you should be able to use $recipient.getEmail().toLowerCase().contains("ext")

Bear in mind that you probably need to be a bit more clever than that though - what happens if you work with users who have emails like Dave.Nexte@yourplace.com ? (I'd reach for regular expressions and use "match" instead of "contains", but I'll leave that up to you)

Kalyani Khandelwal August 28, 2013

Hi Nic,

Yes, I guess regular expresssion will be better option than simple string "contains" check. I have written a comment_if_ext.vm in ..templates/email/text/includes directory. which has contents like,

##Address is $recipient.getEmail()
#if($stringUtils.endsWithIgnoreCase($recipient.getEmail(), "mycomp.com"))
#if($stringUtils.endsWithIgnoreCase($recipient.getEmail(), ".ext@mycomp.com"))
#comment()
#visibility()
#else
#if($comment)
## Sending notification to internal users
Retrieve comment by using URL from summary below.
#end
#end
#else
#comment()
#visibility()
#end

I am parsing this in other .vm files like issueCommented.vm by adding this comment in the script.

#parse("templates/email/text/includes/comment_if_ext.vm")

But This simple logic is not working, is there anything else I need to do inorder to execute it? Is there some other dependency I dont know of.

PS: I have changed velocimacro.library.autoreload=false-->true so that i dont have to restart JIRA to reload the scripts.

Thanks,

Kalyani

jpl May 3, 2015

Just adding some up to date information, as google likes this thread very much, when searching for jira template recipient. In Jira 6.3.6 the function to get the recipient's emailaddress is $recipient.getEmailAddress().

Suggest an answer