Access to another shared mailbox with a service account using IMAP

Carsten Beck-Astrup November 18, 2012

We have a service account we want to access a shared Mailbox folder in order to create issues. But how should we configure this when using IMAP? ie. what should i put into the username field?

Im aware that the folder should be stated when configure the email handler.

But how should i state which mailbox to use when using IMAP?

I use JIRA 4.4.5 (download)

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Carsten Beck-Astrup November 25, 2012

I created a FUG at Atlassian, which was converted into an Improvement. So JIRA does not support shared mailbox access with IMAP.

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-30688

Andy Brook [Plugin People]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 25, 2012

Im not sure what mailserver you're using, but I setup a virtual mailbox some time ago using Postfix that routed all addressees into a single mailbox, from there I used Dovecot (happened to be pop3 but Dovecot supports IMAP also). If you have ability to run your own mailhost on a dedicated domain, ie xxx@jira.yourco.net, where xxx is any addressee that is to be handled by JIRA, this may work for you.

From you content, it sounds like you want mulitple mailboxes? I guess so you can route email to specific projects? Well, JEMH does that. The free version available for 4.x has basic property file config, and might also be able to help, YMMV, routing of email based on 'addressee' as a projectKey. The 1.0+ releases are commercial and JIRA5+ only.

0 votes
John Chin
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 19, 2012

Hi Carsten,

But how should we configure this when using IMAP?

Please see configuring JIRA to Receive POP or IMAP Mail.

{what should i put into the username field?}

You need to put your IMAP account for authentication purpose.

{But how should i state which mailbox to use when using IMAP?}

There is no place for configuring mailbox in JIRA IMAP server. Every mail arrive to your IMAP mailbox will be automate create an issue. But first, you need to create a mail handler to handle any incoming mail. To know how to configure the mail handler, please click here.

Hope it helps.

Cheers,

John Chin

Carsten Beck-Astrup November 20, 2012

I can do this with telnet:

telnet mailserver.abc.dk 143

and then login and access to the shared mailbox with our service account:

? login domain-abc/SER-JIRA-TEST/jiramailtest Password123

But it does not work when i but domain-abc/SER-JIRA-TEST/jiramailtest into the username.

So does anyone know the syntax?

Later I will access a folder in the mailbox for creation of issues with use of a Create Issue Handler.

PS: For POP3 we can write the following in username: domain-abc\SER-JIRA-TEST\jiramailtest ,but with no access to a folder - only the inbox.

Suggest an answer