Access JIRA (and other apps) through AWS ELB

Eddy Cheung May 29, 2015
I have JIRA and other apps (Confluence, Fisheye, etc.) behind a AWS ELB.
The listener for JIRA is set up on port 8080 on AWS as follows:
The following listeners are currently configured for this load balancer:

Load Balancer Protocol
Load Balancer Port
Instance Protocol
Instance Port
Cipher
SSL Certificate
HTTP8080HTTP8080N/AN/A
HTTP8095HTTP8095N/AN/A

To access JIRA, I use the  DNS name of the load balancer:

http://internal-my-LB-1234567890.us-east-1.elb.amazonaws.com:8080

However, the JIRA web page is not rendering correctly.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Eddy

5 answers

1 vote
Ross Barbieri (Talos) June 10, 2015

Hi Eddy, Nic is right, looks like a problem with the ELB config.  Have you tried pointing the ELB directly to port 8080 on your JIRA EC2 instance and then accessing from the base ELB url (i.e., port 80)?

0 votes
Eddy Cheung May 29, 2015

It works perfectly without going through the AWS ELB.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 29, 2015

Ok, so there's a bad config on the ELB. I don't know them well enough to help you. May be worth asking in an ELB forum as well (JIRA isn't serving up anything unusual that needs funny configs)

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 29, 2015

Does it work if you skip the load balancer and go to them direct?  It looks like the you are only getting parts of the pages and css, so while JIRA is definitely running, it's only partially available.  Checking it without the balancer will tell you if the failure is in the balancer or JIRA/Tomcat.

0 votes
Eddy Cheung May 29, 2015

The following are the variety of responses I get:

Not Found

The requested URL /secure/MyJiraHome.jspa was not found on this server.

Apache/2.2.29 (Amazon) Server at internal-my-lb-1234567890.us-east-1.elb.amazonaws.com Port 8080

Not Found

The requested URL /secure/Dashboard.jspa was not found on this server.

Apache/2.2.29 (Amazon) Server at internal-my-lb-1234567890.us-east-1.elb.amazonaws.com Port 8080image2015-5-29 11:13:33.pngimage2015-5-29 11:11:39.png
0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 29, 2015

What do you mean by "not rendering correctly"?  What do you get?  (We can guess what you're expecting)

Suggest an answer