Acceptance Test Driven Development with Jira

Hi there,

We would like to do Acceptance Test Driven Development (ATDD), that is to say, write user stories in a precise format (given / when / then, or equivalent), parseable by a tool to run automated tests (against source code through "fixtures", or against GUI through GUI driver tools like Selenium).

We already tried Fitnesse, Cucumber, etc. but as we're using Jira, we would prefer to have a unique repository / tool for managing our stories.

Is there any Jira plugin that allow to do ATDD, or to integrate with third party ATDD tool?

Thanks,

Maxime

5 answers

Hi Maxime,

I suggest Xray for JIRA: https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.xpandit.plugins.xray

It's a test management tool supporting both manual and automated tests (using Cucumber) that you can link to requirements (in this case user Stories). You can create automated cucumber tests and generate .feature files to execute externally to JIRA. We are working on a REST API for exporting Cucumber .feature files and importing Test Execution results into JIRA. This will allow you to use CI platforms like Jenkins to execute your tests and have the report and requirement coverage in JIRA.

Best Regards,

Bruno Conde.

@Bruno Conde did your team figure out an API to import test execution results into JIRA?

@Bruno conde Hi Bruno, We already have tests BDD test running in Cucumber framework, any thing on the API for importing test results back in JIRA? Went through a lot of documentation online but no luck 

0 vote
Renjith Pillai Community Champion Jan 09, 2012

I am not sure whether you need a plugin for this as this is more of a practice that needs to be followed in the project. This is what we used to follow. We used to have an issuetype called testcase and with some custom fields like 'pre-condition', 'post-condition' to fully describe the testcase. So for every userstory there will be a set of testcases which are linked to the userstory using the Jira linking function. The link that was used was 'is tested by' even though the type of link has no relevance apart from correcting displaying the relation while viewing the story.

The testcase issue type also was associated with a workflow which moves from states New => Under Testing => Success/Failure

Additionally, our CI system automatically transistions the testcase to success when the testcase passes in the CI and this becomes the closure DONE criteria for the userstory.

Hope this helps.

how do you link the testcase in jira and the testcase run in ci server ? using jira api?

Renjith Pillai Community Champion Jan 13, 2012

Yes, access jira using SOAP interface.

0 vote

Our documentation is a bit outdated, but there's Using JIRA for Test Case Management. Check that out and its sub-pages. In general, search Google (and our resources, like confluence.atlassian.com) for 'test case management'. There's also a good thread over on Stack Overflow.

ATDD is about test automation. You define user stories as test scenario, and you make them runnable on your system. It's like unit tests understandable and writable by business analysts.

Greenpepper, which is based on Confluence is a tool of that kind. As confluence and jira are integrated, this could be a solution, but a complicated and expensive one (2 new tools and licenses), considering a jira plugin could do the work.

We have built such a JIRA Plugin (Behave for JIRA) and its now available in the marketplace https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.hindsighttesting.behave.jira

It allows "Scenarios" to be added to user stories or any JIRA issue as Acceptance Tests. The scenarios are written in Cucumber's Gherkin format and a maven plugin transforms the relevant scenarios into features files during the build. Cucumber can then run the generate feature files to execute the tests.

I have tried "Behave for JIRA" but there is some limitation in the features. For example, users can not search the created features. And it seems to be hard to organize the created features as well. And what are the 'tags' for?

@Alan Parkinson, do you have some guide or solution for those?

Maxime - We're going to try this as well and we've looked at Behave but aren't sure we like it. The biggest limitation was being able to group and categorise stories/acceptance critiera.

Instead we're going to try using Bob Swifts CLI tool to export BDD/ATDD scripts from the description fields of JIRA User Stories to text files. We will then try and pump them through Cucumber bolted onto a Selenium driver and into our application.

Wish us luck!

@Nick

how did it go with the bob swift cli tool ? I might think to implement the same thing, for example launching jenkins, which retrieves the user stories from jira and then execute cucumber to launch selenium driver.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

3,314 views 14 20
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot