Accents in user's full name in JIRA

Sune Mølgaard May 23, 2013

Hi all,

A customer reports that a user with the name René has his name displayed wrongly in JIRA (which I cannot readily reproduce), and furthermore, the Danish word "Dataudtræk" (part of the title of an issue), seems to be rendered as "DataudtrÃ|k"

Database is MS SQL 2008 with collation SQL_Latin1_General_CP437_CI_AI as per recommendations.

What may be the cause and how do I remedy the situation?

Best regards,

Sune Mølgaard

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Sune Mølgaard May 29, 2013

Problem solved!

System encoding was CP1252, and the fix, obviously, was to add -Dfile.encoding=utf-8 to the Java options for the service.

Still, thank you for your assistance and your swift reply!

Best regards,

Sune Mølgaard

0 votes
Sune Mølgaard May 28, 2013

It would seem that at least Firefox automatically sets UTF-8, even when I choose other encodings, and I should think that that is what is to be expected.

Furthermore, the problem isn't always apparent for all special characters - not even always for the same block of text!

Could JIRA, when indexing, or the database while storing or accessing, be converting (some) characters to other encodings, while still stipulating in the headers that the document is in UTF-8?

0 votes
LucasA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 24, 2013

Hi Sune,

Most of these errors are caused by a incorrect browser character encoding. Please check if it's not the case. If not, please raise a support ticket at https://support.atlassian.com

Cheers,

Lucas Lima

Suggest an answer