Ability to search (JQL) based on a specific weekday

Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 27, 2022

Hi,

I've been looking thru the documentation but can't seem to find an answer to this.

We've been trying to figure out a JQL query where we can specify if an issue has been created on a specific weekday. The problem here is that we don't want it just for this week (which I could do with startOfWeek()) but for this weekday since we started creating issues.

e.g. All issues created on a Sunday (preferably even between specific times)

Anybody got a clue on how we could figure out that query?

1 answer

1 vote
Tessa Tuteleers
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 27, 2022

Hi @Dirk Ronsmans , 

I'm not sure if you can do this without actually manually detailing every day with a DayOfMonth() separately. 

I'm not aware of any apps that can help either, unless you use BI on top of your instance. 

But you can get the day of the week as a smart value in automation, so maybe you can use that to set metadata to your issues and filter that way? (Label or something?) 

The smart value would be {{issue.created.dayOfWeekName}}

Not really a direct answer but perhaps a usable workaround. 

- Tessa

Mohamed Benziane
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 27, 2022

You could also use scriptrunner to create a specific JQL function.

Like Tessa Tuteleers likes this
Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 27, 2022

Hi @Tessa Tuteleers ,

Thanks for confirming what I was fearing. I'm a bit hesitant to update all the old issues on this particular instance (100K issues) and want to avoid retriggering them/causing some communication to users.

For future issues I might implement the automation just to start keep track of it from now on.

@Mohamed Benziane 

I did notice that was an option and we do have Scriptrunner (still on Server/DC) so I'll look a bit more in to that.

But as I suspected sadly no out of the box JQL option that I never heard of :)

Suggest an answer