Ability to restrict projects per user but use group permissions

Steven White February 16, 2015

Hi 

We currently have two permission schemes configured for our JIRA server. 

1. Internal Staff Members 
  2. Internal Staff and External Contractors

All the external contractors are part of a "External" group, is is used for the second permission scheme, but we are trying to look into a better way without having to create multiple permission schemes so the users can view and use the different projects. 

For example; 

• External User 1 is on Project A
  • External User 2 & 3 are on Project B
  • External User 1 & 2 are on Project C

At the moment all three have visibility on all 3 projects. 

We don't have a fulltime IT person so myself and one of the other managers look after this between our other tasks. So any help is greatly appreciated 

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 16, 2015

Move to using Roles instead of Groups in your permission scheme.  Then you can add groups or users (or a mix) to control access.

If, for example, you say "Browse:  Role:  Users", then in project A, you add External User 1 into the role, in project B, you'd add 2 and 3, and in C, 1 and 2.

Steven White February 19, 2015

Hi Nic, Thanks for the tip, i'm having a play with this now (in some demo projects so not to effect live projects). If using Roles instead of groups do i need to use the lower role type? So if i set a permission of "Project Role (User)" for create attachments. roles developer and Administators will also be able to do this or do i need to add them in as well?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 19, 2015

If you say "Create Attachments = Project Role (User)" and nothing else, then that means only people in the role of "User" will be able to attach files. Developers and admins will not be able to attach anything.

Steven White February 19, 2015

Thank you. That would explain the results i was getting.

Suggest an answer