Ability to customize issue type icons in JIRA 6.3

Dan Maxwell October 10, 2014

We upgraded from JIRA 5.3 to JIRA 6.3 and now notice that the ability to enter a custom file path to an icon is no longer present in the 'Edit Issue Type' screen.

Are the icons we were using (were placed on our server) now invalid?

We had a lot of icons available, but now we seem to be limited to what JIRA has by default again.

Does 6.3 behave like 5.3 in that, if I were to change it on my machine by browsing to a custom icon, it would not change for everyone else, or would everyone see that change now?

EDIT:

So the custom icons we put on the server on our own are now moved to the same folder as the JIRA default icons?

If that's true, why can I not see them in the selections window?

EDIT2:

We had custom icons that we had put on and used successfully in JIRA 5.3 but have now upgraded to JIRA 6.3.7. Those icons should still be there, and we can check that. Let me try wording this to where I get to the heart of what I am asking:

Question #1: If custom icons are present on the JIRA server, should they display in the pop-up that shows all the icons that are available?

Question #2: If the answer to Question #1 is no, how do I enter a path to those icons when JIRA 6.3 does not give me that option? All it allows is for someone to select from the list of icons shown in the pop-up or to browse to an icon on your local PC (2 out of the 3 options that were available in JIRA 5.3).

3 answers

1 vote
Amy Biasella
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 9, 2015

"If custom icons are present on the JIRA server, should they display in the pop-up that shows all the icons that are available?"

My non-developer guess is I think whatever code is used to display the images on the "pick the icon" screen are static defined in a different location, and not a dynamic list of what is actually available. I think it would be a great feature to show all available icons in that folder.

Your #2 question is also something that slightly bothers me. I've had to resort to saving an image locally and uploading it that way, but I prefer that over needing to navigate to the images directory to begin with to save my image. (We have a secure instance and I avoid using outside image links.)

0 votes
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 10, 2014

They wouldn't be moved there by the install process. You need to do that yourself.

0 votes
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 10, 2014

We put them in the same folder as the supplied ones on the server.

Suggest an answer