ARCHIVING OLD ISSUES OF JIRA

hash April 28, 2017

Hi in Our JIRA there are so many thousands of issues in all projects.

I need to  archive issues of 2015 and 2016 .

Is there any possibility to do that?

Please give me a detailed answer if anyone knows/

thank you

8 answers

6 votes
Aron Gombas _Midori_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 14, 2018

The blog post (written by my colleague) titled How to archive Jira issues on Jira Server and Data Center compares multiple techniques.

If you haven't decided what to do yet, it is a great starting point.

1 vote
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 28, 2017

Adding on to Brant's answer, you will find some more details at https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver071/archiving-a-project-802592917.html. Check it out.

hash May 1, 2017

HI Jobin,

I want to delete or archive Issues which are in thousands from the years 2015 and 2016..

So could you please help me...

we r using 6.3.1

1 vote
Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 28, 2017

Hash,

JIRA is not setup to archive issues.  If you want to remove issues from your JIRA instance but archive them before doing so I would suggest coming up with a process internal to your organization that meets your needs.  For example every quarter we do the following:

• Refresh our test enviorment with current production data.
  • Perform a full backup of our JIRA instance.
  • Export projects that will be deleted using bulk edit export to full content.

This provides us with the following:

• A test enviorment that is close to production for testing and for reference of deleted issues and projects.
  • A full backup that we can restore at any given time if we need to reference a deleted project or issue.
  • PDF documents that can be searched by staff for specific issues or projects.

We have yet to do a full restore to get the information we need.  The PDF documents have been sufficient in answering questions that have come up after the project or issue has been deleted.

Hope this helps.
Brant

hash April 28, 2017

HI,thanks for answering.

Yes we have test environment also..your process is good..

I want process how to delete old issue ? as iam naive admin

How to copy old issues to PDF ?

Aron Gombas _Midori_
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 14, 2018

Just use the Better PDF Exporter app!

Like Kiran Bv likes this
1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 28, 2017

What do you mean by "archive"?  You'll need to define what you want that process to do and what effect it has on the issues being archived.

hash April 28, 2017

I want to delete old issues....

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 28, 2017

Ok, that's fine, but it's not "archiving", it's "completely destroying the issues".

You can run filters for "issue last updated before 1st Jan 2017" and then run through bulk-delete for them, but that's only a thousand at a time.  I'd script that from the outside, doing it over REST.

hash May 8, 2017

HI Nic,

I dont want to delete them. Just want to have a copy of them with read access for others and archiving them .that is what i wanted

could you please help me with that.

thank you.

0 votes
Allister Lobo November 7, 2019

Is it to clean up your Kanban? A quick fix for me was to create a quick filter instead of changing the status of items

Go to Kanban

Board Settings

Quick Filters

Name the new filter

Enter into the JQL field - status != Done OR resolutiondate >= startOfWeek() 

0 votes
Jess Seitz
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
September 13, 2019

Hi @hash , 

Wanted to share that we released issue-level archiving (archive individual issues, bulk edit through JQL search, or automated through APIs) in Jira Software Data Center 8.1, and a new browse archives page in 8.4. Here's our announcement and blog with all the details: 

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Enterprise/Introducing-issue-archiving-it-s-time-for-some-Jira-spring/gpm-p/1177470

https://www.atlassian.com/blog/enterprise/issue-archiving

Cheers, 

Jess

Gita October 31, 2019

Hi Jess, 

Do You have any plans to release issues archiving in Jira Software Server? 

Thanks.

Jess Seitz
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
October 31, 2019

Hi @Gita

We do not have plans to release issue archiving for Jira Software Server, as this feature supports our enterprise value propositions for Data Center around high availability, performance at scale, and administrative control. If you'd like to learn more about how we prioritize features for each offering, this is a great resource: https://www.atlassian.com/blog/jira-software/prioritizing-features-server-data-center

Best,

Jessica

0 votes
Alis-Hathway Ward (DO NOT USE) June 4, 2019

I'm currently considering how best to tackle this for one of my projects that has thousands of tickets also. Mostly because making jira changes take forever when the project is large.

What I'm throwing around in my head atm is cloning my current project and renaming it to include "Archive" in the name. Then I would query for all the issues I want to archive and use the Move function in Jira to shovel them over into that other project. I'm thinking this might be the best way for them to be queryable, but out of the active project.

As for 'read only', there are a few ways you could probably do it: project-level edit permissions, or you might create a custom workflow with no statuses except "Closed" and apply that to the new project (would prevent even admin-level users from changing the status of those tickets without them tweaking the project workflow).

Don't know if that's the best solution, but wanted to share my current thoughts on the topic.

0 votes
kaszaq December 13, 2018

You could try to adjust this project for your needs:

https://gitlab.com/kaszaq/jiratomkdocs/

Suggest an answer