API Users = license users?

jh June 7, 2012

Hello,

I have added a backup issuetype, which is automatically being take care of by an external backup scripts. It adds a backup task, which another server is able to understand, and update it depending on it's progress, closes it when done. It also assigns it to me or someone if problems came up. Not that we would have many of those "API users", it seems they need real jira user permission to use the API - so they also need licenses. Can we somehow work around this if we want to keep individual users? The reason is that we have many of these api users, which we can not combine to one single user - as it's at the client side.

Any suggestion?

Thanks, JH

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 7, 2012

Hi Jan,

maybe you can create a custom field where your scripts can enter the "real user name".

Then you only need one technical Jira-User for running the program against the Jira API.

Best regards

Thomas

jh June 7, 2012

Hi Thomas,

thanks for your quick answer. Problem is, that I do not want to have that single user across clients at their place including an open password. So they could potentially access other clients data... So the custom field itself is not enough.

It's like users not being part of the Jira group, they can email into the system, no problem. I'd wish this is the same for the API. Any chance?

Thanks, JH

Suggest an answer