AD Users limitation in jira

Eswar November 28, 2019

i would like to limit the users of AD in jira hence it returns all users of AD in jira when synchronization has happened.

My Jira users are not in same OU in AD but they are added to same group.

Can anyone help me on this?

1 answer

0 votes
Daniel Eads
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 13, 2019

Hi Eswar,

Thanks for explaining how your set up is, and that you want to limit the number of users coming across from AD into Jira. You've basically described an LDAP filter!

We've got step-by-step instructions for configuring LDAP filters in Jira here:
https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver/reducing-the-number-of-users-synchronized-from-ldap-to-jira-applications-938847054.html

Since the users are in the same group, you can use a simple group filter. You mentioned they're not in the same OU, so just don't add a particular OU filter. Here are the instructions for your convenience:

Synchronizing against Base DN, Additional User DN and Additional Group DN

1. Log in as a user with the Jira Administrators global permission.
  2. Select Administration > Users > User Directories.
  3. Update the Base DN field, and optionally the Additional User DN and/or Additional Group DN to query against the directory server as desired.
  4. For example, if you have configured all of your Jira application users in the jira-users organizational unit only, for your company at mycompany.example.com, your configuration would look like this:
    • Base DN  dc=mycompany,dc=example,dc=com
    • Additional Group DN  ou=jira-users

If you need some examples of how to use LDAP filters, we've also got a great article here walking you through how to construct them.

Cheers,
Daniel | Atlassian Support

Suggest an answer