A question about Boards in Jira Software

ben October 6, 2016

Hey there, 

So I am new to Jira, but keen to get set up. Today I have made a new project called BAU (Business as Usual). Within this project have two distict work groups, one is PHP Dev and the other iOS Dev. So I created two boards here, BAU PHP and BAU iOS. 

My idea here was that I could add a backlog and an associated sprint within each board. So two separate backlogs, with two separate sprints are they are different teams, but importantly, working in the same Project which is BAU stuff (enhancements, bugs etc)

I then went and created a couple of Test Issues to see this in action - however to my surprise, these Test Issues appear on both Boards. If I toggle between then I see the same thing. 

Please see the following screen shots for what I mean: 

http://take.ms/SqhYV

http://take.ms/h7EFO

So is this correct? If this IS correct, I must be missing the point of Boards here? 

Your help on this is much appreciated!! 

Ben

2 answers

0 votes
ben October 8, 2016

Hi Alex - 

So I unfortunately I'm pretty confused here. I also think I am missing the point of Boards. 

So can 1 Project have multiple boards? 

Can I delete everything and start again - it seems the system saves everything - even details about other projects I have created and deleted. Some lists now contain so much useless stuff! 

Also, what is the best way to learn how JIRA works? 

Alexander Richter
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 9, 2016

Hi Ben,

yes, a project can have multiple Boards. But you have to tell your Board, what it should show. This is where the Filter comes in. There you define which issues you want to see. Afterwards you go to the Board configuration and choose the filter you created for this Board.

I think there are many ways to learn how JIRA works. I have read the complete administrators guide and then learned by doing.

0 votes
Alexander Richter
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 6, 2016

Hi Ben,

the Board shows all issues that are in the query defined in your filter.

So how about this: Create a customfield (maybe Radio Button) where you have the field values PHP and iOS.

Then create two filters. One should be "project = BAU and 'newCustomfield' = PHP" the other one "project = BAU and 'newCustomfield' = iOS". Save these and paste the first one to your PHP Board and the second one to your iOS Board. (you may also use labels instead of new customfield)

Afterwards your Boards should just show the Issues you want.

Best Regards,

Alex

Suggest an answer