A mandatory field from a different ticket type is preventing a ticket from moving forward

Matt March 30, 2021

We recently made a certain field mandatory in one ticket type. A different ticket type is now saying it cannot move forward because the mandatory field is not complete.  The mandatory field is not included in the ticket type wont move forward. 

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Martin Bayer _MoroSystems_ s_r_o__
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 30, 2021

Hi @Matt how did you set the field as mandatory field? Did you use validator in workflow or field configuration?

Matt March 30, 2021

Field Configuration 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 30, 2021

That suggests you're using a field configuration for the "different" issue type that has the mandatory flag set.  It may even be shared with the first issue type.

Community Leader
Community Leader
March 30, 2021

Ok, can you share your project's configuration and field configuration? What field configurations and field configuration schemes are used in your project for required issue types? What field configuration did you updated? I think it must be some small mistake in your configuration... more eyes see more...

Matt March 30, 2021

Hi - sorry very new user here.  Not sure how to answer all your questions.  What I did was go into field configurations to to View Field Configurations.  Scrolled down until I saw the field I was looking for.  There is a list of screens next to it.  To the right of that I clicked the "Required" blue link.  

When I review the list of screens though I cannot find the screen that is being  held up?

Does this make sense ?

Matt March 30, 2021

So would I then need to alter the Default Issue Type Scheme ?

Community Leader
Community Leader
March 30, 2021

hi @Matt , yes, it makes sense. The problem is that schemes in Jira are quite often shared (as @Nic Brough -Adaptavist-  mentioned). Let me post some screenshots (it is on Jira 7.6.x, but the idea behind it is the same).

You have Project configuration (Project settings) and its field configuration says what field configuration scheme is used for the project. Each Field configuration scheme specifies what Field Configuration configures what issue type.

For example, in my case, Field configuration scheme is called Project Management and it specified three configuration for specific isue types (AST, Demands, Requests) and default field configuration for all the other issue types in the project (Default Field Configuration)

Selection_196.png

Like Nic Brough -Adaptavist- likes this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 30, 2021

Ok, there's a "field configuration scheme" for the project which is what you see first when you click into field configurations from the project.

This should be a list of issue types (possibly only one - there's always a "default") mapped to different "field configuration"s.  You need to ensure you are using different field configurations for the two issue types.

(Forget the screens for now, they're not a problem, Jira doesn't care if you do or don't have a field on screen, except for resolution)

Community Leader
Community Leader
March 30, 2021

@Matt if your configuration says that ONE field configuration is used by ALL or MULTIPLE issue types and it is not required, you need to make copy of the field configuration and adjust it. Then you need to adjust your FIeld Configuration Scheme so NEW field configuration is set for required issue type. 

You can also check documentation here: https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver/specifying-field-behavior-938847255.html

Like Nic Brough -Adaptavist- likes this
Matt March 30, 2021

OK I went to the Project Settings -- I see 7 Issue types use this Field Configuration 

I see the one I need to alter listed there 

how do i make this one field not madaotry on that issue type ?

Community Leader
Community Leader
March 30, 2021

Can you attach screenshot of the Field Configuration of your project so I can tell you what exactly needs to be done?

Matt March 30, 2021

Ok  pretty sure i shouldnt do that without some internal approval -- thank you for your help 

Community Leader
Community Leader
March 30, 2021

Ok, so you can use my screenshot. You can see there are multiple Field Configurations. These configurations are set for different issue types. As I wrote, if you have one Field Configuration assigned to every issuetype in your Field COnfiguraion Scheme, you need to make copy of the Field Configuration and adjust Field Configuration Scheme so required issuetype is assigned to NEW field configuration and all the other remains the same.

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer