A few questions

Conn July 22, 2015

Hi,

We are looking at moving away from our current setup, which is (using git):

• Developer works on branch on localhost
  • Pushes up to development server
  • Pushes up from development server to live server
  • Issues tracked through buggenie

There's no real review process of what was done. So we want to have a bit more control over the management of the code, and also a system for easy code reviews and better issue tracking, integrated together.

I've been having a look at "git essentials" trial, which seems to include a bitbucket account and a JIRA account.

My first question would be:

• We would want to host ourselves, not use a cloud service. So would "Stash" be the self-hosted equivilent to bitbucket?

Secondly, we are an academic institution, who develops open source software, and I noticed in the pricing information that there is a discount for academic and it mentions a free license for open source projects, so my second question is:

• Is the free license for open source, unlimited? Or would we be limited to only a few users? (This would be self-hosted again)

And following on from that;

• At the moment, our final product isn't hosted on anything like github, it's available as a zip file download on our website. Would this be a problem with the open source license? Would we need to have an open repository on a site like github, or on our own self-hosted system to qualify for the open source license? 

And lastly, would I be right in assuming Stash and JIRA would be the most likely solutions to what we want? (Which, to reiterate was a centalised management of code, ability to do code reviews, ability to link issues to patches/branches/etc...) Or would you recommend a different product? (If you need more info about what we would like to do, let me know).

I will probably have more questions as I review the trials, but any help with those bits for now would be appreciated.

Thanks.

1 answer

3 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 22, 2015
  1. Yes, Stash + Git would do much the same as bitbucket for you, although it is very different.
  2. Academic licences are cheaper, if you qualify - https://www.atlassian.com/licensing/purchase-licensing#licensing-2 but open source ones are free, again if you qualify - see https://www.atlassian.com/software/views/open-source-license-request for that one.
  3. It's sort of answered by the second link I gave above, but I suspect "you can download a zip file of the source code" qualifies as "The project source code is available for download".  I don't believe you have to provide anything more than that.

And lastly, yes, Stash + JIRA works really well together for that.  If you're determined to use one of them, then your best option is to get the other as they do integrate very tightly.

Suggest an answer