A fatal error occurred during initialisation. JIRA has been locked

NeeluV September 2, 2014

I am getting the error " A fatal error occurred during initialisation. JIRA has been locked"

when I tried to read the data from the database on JIRA gadget.

It was working fine till last week.

4 answers

1 vote
NeeluV September 18, 2014

The error did go away after I stopped the JIRA server and deleted the ".jira-home.lock" file from the atlassian home folder

0 votes
Moe Mahmood October 23, 2015

Well I had the same issue running it on windows 8. I had to stop the Jira Service and remove the file. Goto TaskManger -> Services -> Open Services (the bottom option) Find -> JIRASoftwareXXXX Stop the Service Find the file .jira-home.lock Mine was located in: C:\Program Files\Atlassian\Application Data\JIRA Deleted the file. Restart the service JIRASoftwareXXXX in services. Try again in the browser and it works...Voila!!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 23, 2015

That's the same problem as the original answer, which you should read. That file is there to prevent you running two JIRA systems at the same time. The fact it was there meant you had shut down Jira incorrectly or suffered a crash of some sort that killed it. It's not the right answer to your question, it's just a restart.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 18, 2014

That file is there to prevent you running two JIRA systems at the same time. The fact it was there meant you had shut down Jira incorrectly or suffered a crash of some sort that killed it. It's not the right answer to your question, it's just a restart. You need to look at why JIRA was stopped/crashed as well as just restart it. It's nothing to do with the database or gadgets, your JIRA was killed for some reason, and you should really find out why.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 2, 2014

"read the data from the database on Jira gadget" implies you're using direct database access. Do not do this. It breaks things.

However, the whole of Jira breaking is something we can look into with you. But you absolutely MUST read your log file to work out what is going on.

NeeluV September 2, 2014

From the atlassian-jira log file, it seems like it is not able to find the DB hostname.

org.apache.commons.dbcp.SQLNestedException: Cannot create PoolableConnectionFactory (Unknown server host name 'db-lab-on.lab123.com'.)
at org.apache.commons.dbcp.BasicDataSource.createPoolableConnectionFactory(BasicDataSource.java:1549)
at org.apache.commons.dbcp.BasicDataSource.createDataSource(BasicDataSource.java:1388)
at org.apache.commons.dbcp.BasicDataSource.setLogWriter(BasicDataSource.java:1134)
at org.ofbiz.core.entity.transaction.DBCPConnectionFactory.getConnection(DBCPConnectionFactory.java:109)
at org.ofbiz.core.entity.ConnectionFactory.tryGenericConnectionSources(ConnectionFactory.java:69)
at org.ofbiz.core.entity.transaction.JNDIFactory.getConnection(JNDIFactory.java:146)
at org.ofbiz.core.entity.TransactionFactory.getConnection(TransactionFactory.java:101)
at org.ofbiz.core.entity.ConnectionFactory.getConnection(ConnectionFactory.java:59)

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 2, 2014

Right, well, there's your answer - your database lookup is now failing. That's a DNS error, not Jira, talk to your network admins.

Suggest an answer