7.0.11 Startup

Jeff Kramer January 3, 2018

Hello,

Just finished an update to 7.0.11 and had a question about Jira Startup process.  On our old version, it would startup automatically with a Jira service.  On this version I've been using the start-jira.bat file in the BIN directory.  Is this normal or should it be tied to a service like the old version?

Thank You in advance,

Jeff Kramer

1 answer

0 votes
somethingblue
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 3, 2018

Hi Jeff,

It should be starting as a service.  What I would do is try deleting the old service and creating a new service for your current JIRA instance.  You did not mention the database, however, If the database JIRA connects to is hosted on the same server as JIRA, and is started via a Windows service, the JIRA service will only start successfully if the database service has already started first. 

Another consideration is that the Service may be tied to another user.  Take a look at the Running JIRA applications as a Windows service knowledge base article to see how to verify the Windows user for the Service.

Once you verify the service is not using the incorrect user and the db is starting up first, the next step would be to remove the old Service and create a new one manually.

Removing the JIRA service

If JIRA was installed through the Windows installer, go to the 'Control Panel' in Windows, click 'Add or Remove Programs' and remove JIRA. This will remove the service too.

If you installed the service manually (see above) it can be uninstalled with:

service.bat remove JIRA

Alternatively, if the above does not work, use tomcat8 //DS//JIRA.

Once you have removed the service you'll want to re-create it.  Take a look at Running JIRA applications as a Windows service to see how to manually setup JIRA as a service.

Cheers,

Branden

Cheers,

Branden

Jeff Kramer January 3, 2018

Branden,

Thanks for the quick reply.  Database is running on another server.  Service appears to be in the old home directory though.  I'll read up on those linked docs before jumping in.  

Jeff Kramer January 4, 2018

Branden,

Wouldn't removing Jira on the add/remove programs option uninstall the Jira installation for the server?

somethingblue
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 4, 2018

Hi Jeff,

That will delete JIRA as well, however, you would re-install and use the JIRA Configuration Utility to point back to your database to get back up and running.

Alternatively, you can just delete the service and re-create it.

Cheers,

Branden

Jeff Kramer January 4, 2018

Is there a document that covers just deleting the service?  I have the system primed to manually create the new one.  

Suggest an answer